Monday, May 22, 2006

"Feel free to pick up a habit...like drugs or alcohol or something. Just so you have something to do." ~my boss

That quote is my boss giving me sage advice on what I should be doing during work. Heh. I like working for an easy-going, lazy guy. He's incredibly funny and nice; in fact, everyone I work with is great. I do sometimes get bored, but at least I've been getting lots of reading done. I read 3 (long) books last week. I read on the train going to and from work as well. I love being able to choose what to read. There are so many books I want to get through this summer.

Last week I saw two Broadway plays. The first was The Lieutenant of Inishmore, which was fantastic. I think it was the best play I've ever seen (that doesn't include musicals). It was insanely bloody, violent, and gross; everything onstage was completely covered in blood by the end. Yet it was also hilarious; I've never laughed so hard in my life. I loved every second of it. Go see it. Now. Seriously. I got a student ticket less than an hour before the show started and I was in the front row of the mezzanaine. It was a perfect seat. I did the lotto for The Drowsy Chaperone that night and lost, so seeing The Lieutenant of Inishmore was a last-minute decision, but it was definitely a good one. But I'm going to keep trying the Drowsy lotto.

The second play was not nearly as good. It was Three Days of Rain, with Julia Roberts, Paul Rudd, and Bradley Cooper. I wasn't expecting much out of it; I know it didn't get the best reviews. Julia wasn't terrible, but she wasn't spectacular, either. What I thought was funny was her Southern accent; it was awful. It kept fading in and out. And she's from the South. She really didn't have much stage presence at all. I'm a big Paul Rudd fan (The Object of my Affection, Anchorman, The 40 Year Old Virgin, Friends, Clueless...), and I liked his performance. Bradley Cooper was the real standout, though. He added necessary energy to the play. Overall it wasn't a bad production, but it definitely could have been better. Nic and I had standing room tickets, but for the second act we got to move into seats in the second row and had a great view from there, so that was lucky.

It's so nice to be in the city during the day and to just be able to go see a show once I get off work. If only I were making money so that I could actually afford this threatre addiction of mine.

Oh, funny story (another cool thing about being in NYC). I was running around the city making deliveries last week and I walked past the NBC Upfronts. I purposely swung by Radio City during the time I knew they would be going on because I wanted to catch a glimpse of Matthew Perry and I knew he would be there. I didn't see Matthew Perry, but I somehow got stuck (where I wasn't supposed to be but didn't realize until too late) in a group walking down the sidewalk with Matt Lauer, Meredith Vierra, and Al Roker. It was funny; there were all these people across the street behind barricades taking pictures, and there I was walking with the people that they were taking pictures of. Matt Lauer looked at me as if to ask who on earth I was. I snuck away as soon as I could.

No comments: