Tuesday, September 09, 2014


Whaaaatttt?!?!?!?!?! U2 fans have been waiting for what feels like forever for Songs of Innocence to be released. It was supposed to be released six months ago, which obviously didn't happen, and we kept waiting and waiting for some news. A release date was never announced, so we've been stuck in this state of limbo for months and months. And then today U2 dropped the bomb that they were releasing the album. TODAY. For free. On iTunes. Again, I say, whaaaatttt?!?!?! Obviously U2 fans are going nuts.

I've listened to the whole thing a few times through and my first impression is that this is a really, really good album. It's definitely their best since All That You Can't Leave Behind. My favorite song is "The Troubles;" it's gorgeously haunting.

Neil McCormick wrote a fabulous, detailed review that's worth reading. I agree that the Brian Burton (Danger Mouse) tracks are the best and most intriguing, and I hope that partnership continues.

Bono also wrote a letter to accompany the release.

Obviously I need to listen to the album quite a few more times to solidify my thoughts, but right now I'm incredibly happy, and I can't wait to hear these songs live. Go listen. Just open up iTunes, because the album is already in your library, whether you wanted it there or not.

I'm being super spoiled this month, because two of my favorite bands both released brilliant albums within a week of each other.

No comments: