Saturday, April 27, 2013

 So I went to a taping of Late Night with Jimmy Fallon on Thursday and was on the Band Bench for The National's performance, which was fabulous. I'm here to share video. I'm not as visible as I was last time:

but you can definitely see me! Here's some help:


 Here's a link to the whole show (it's worth watching for a few reasons, one being Susan Sarandon's crazy, miniature killer dogs taking over the studio, another being Anthony Mackie being awesome and breaking into song).

 Sea of Love (This is the first time they've played this song, and I need to listen to it a few times to really get a handle on it, but I think I love it. It's very different from the band's usual sound.):

I Need My Girl (I love this song. It's on the new album but they've been playing it live for awhile, so I've heard it in concert a few times and have recordings of it. This version is a bit different, and it's even better than the earlier version they played.):

I cannot wait for this album to come out.

I was lucky enough to see Mistaken for Strangers at the Tribeca Film Festival on Friday, and it was absolutely amazing. It was the Opening Night film of the festival. I wanted to see it because of course I'm obsessed with The National, but you don't have to be a fan of the band to enjoy the movie. It's a film by Tom Berninger, the brother of Matt Berninger (lead singer of The National). Tom went on the road with the band and filmed the experience. It features some great footage of the band, but above all it is a movie about brothers. It's surprisingly hilarious and also very touching at times. I hope it gets a wide release eventually, because it's definitely worth seeing (scroll down to my last post to see the trailer). There was a Q&A session after the film with Tom Berninger, Matt Berninger, Carin Besser (Matt's wife, who was very involved in the making of the film), and Craig Charland (the film's fourth producer, who also worked on Win Win, one of my favorite movies). It was interesting to hear them speak about the film.


I'll be back soon with some more amazing LNJF video (unrelated to The National).

No comments: