Thursday, October 20, 2011

"I'm just a little bit caught in the middle, life is a maze and love is a riddle. I don't know where to go, can't do it alone, I've tried and I don't know why." ~lenka


Today I've got some entertainment updates; first Broadway, then TV.

I've seen a few plays recently, but I'm just going to mention one for now. Broadway fans have been going crazy arguing over the new revival of Godspell, and I had to see what all the fuss was about. Going into it, I was familiar with some of the music but I had never seen a production of the show before (and I've never seen the movie). I wish I had some previous version to which I can compare this production, because I'm not sure what to think.

First of all, the show is being performed at Circle in the Square, which is theatre in the round. They do a good job of using the space (theatre in the round is not easy; I've seen other shows at that theatre that were not nearly as successful at adapting to the space). I won a lotto seat, which meant I was sitting on a cushion right next to the stage. The lotto winners work for their seats; we were part of the show. We had to hold up our cushions to help create background scenery at one point. Hunter Parrish gave us high fives (I'm a fan of Weeds and I adore him, so that was exciting). Cast members whispered to us. It was fun to be a part of the action.

As for the show, there are some interesting choices being made. "Day By Day" is sung as they're dancing the Electric Slide, and the chicken dance and the macarena both pop up, as well as jokes about facebook, Steve Jobs, Charlie Sheen, and Occupy Wall Street. I think they're still working out the improv bits and the contemporary references. There are mini-trampolines and a pool of water. It does get a bit ridiculous (veering into "so bad it's good" territory), but I also thought some parts were well done. I think it helped that my lotto section was full of some very enthusiastic people, which I think can really make a difference. I actually enjoyed myself very much. I love Hunter Parrish, and although I think he's still feeling out the role of Jesus, I was impressed with his performance (that may be partly because I'm a huge fan of his). Anyway, I don't think this show is nearly as bad as some people are saying.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

We're about a month into the new TV season, so I thought I'd post an update on what I'm watching. These are the new shows I'm sticking with:

Homeland
If there was ever any doubt in anyone's mind that Claire Danes is a brilliant actress (maybe you haven't seen My So-Called Life or Temple Grandin), Homeland should clear up those doubts. Claire Danes is amazing. She basically won every award she was eligible for last year (the Emmy, Golden Globe, SAG Award) for Temple Grandin (go see it now if you haven't already), and I hope she wins a bunch more for Homeland. Her character (Carrie) is obsessive and not exactly likeable, but Danes throws herself into the role so completely (both physically and emotionally) that I feel like I've known Carrie forever, and I sympathize with her. Damian Lewis is also giving a wonderful performance. Even though the two main characters, Carrie and Brody, have interacted only once in a very short meeting, I feel the connections between the two, and I think that's because of the performances. They're both very physical performances (a lot is conveyed in silence), and both Danes and Lewis manage to make the audience connect to their characters, even though they're both mysterious and untrustworthy and flawed. The writing in this show is very strong so far. The main storyline is slowly building as the audience is kept guessing, and subplots (that may be related) are deftly being weaved into the story. I'm not entirely sure what the truth is, and I want to know more. So, three episodes in, I'm loving this show.

Revenge
Yes, it's dramatic and soapy and juicy and I love it. Emily VanCamp and Madeleine Stowe are giving great performances, making me love their characters despite their awful actions. I actually really like both Daniel (Joshua Bowman) and Jack (Nick Wechsler), so I'm torn as to whom I want to see Emily in a relationship with (although the first five minutes of the pilot pretty much made my preference moot). I like that triangle. I'm interested to see what happens when the action catches up to the flashback that opened the show. Ooh, and I love Gabriel Mann (Nolan)! He's a perfect (nuisance) sidekick for Emily.

Pan Am
I think this show has really been improving since the pilot. We've learned more about the girls; getting a glimpse at Colette's tragic past (and how it's still haunting her), seeing Maggie's passion for politics, and learning more about Kate and Laura's family history has made it easier to connect to the characters. I've liked seeing Kate's spy career develop, and I'm curious to see where her relationship with Laura goes next (the last scene of this week's episode was heartbreaking). I hope the ratings for this show pick up, because I do want to see it continue.

Okay, that's all for now.

No comments: