Monday, June 13, 2011

"There's no business like show business like no business I know. Everything about it is appealing, everything that traffic will allow. Nowhere could you get that happy feeling when you are stealing that extra bow." ~irving berlin

It's my post-Tony Awards post!

Last night was what I considered to be probably the best Tony Awards telecast I've seen. Although there weren't too many surprises (I was 22/24 in my predictions), there were some fabulous performances, some heartfelt speeches, and a lot of laughs. The Tonys are my favorite awards show because so much of the evening is made up of live performances. It's always an entertaining night. I tweeted during the telecast so some of my comments are there, but I'll give you a recap here:

I knew Frances McDormand wound win Best Actress in a Play for her performance in Good People, and I felt she was deserving of the award (although part of me hoped Nina Arianda would win because she's a Broadway newcomer who completely steals the show in Born Yesterday). Anyway, I was looking forward to Ms. McDormand's speech. She's an interesting person. She avoids the red carpet and the press room, she doesn't sign autographs, and she focuses on the work. Here she is after her win:
Yes, that is what she wore to accept her Tony award. A jean jacket. I admire the fact that she's so uninhibited. And I liked her speech, especially what I interpreted as a fist pump as she hustled off the stage.


I had hoped the telecast would open with "Hello" from The Book of Mormon, so I was disappointed when that was vetoed (it would have been the perfect opening). The Book of Mormon instead performed "I Believe," which was a surprising choice to me; I would have expected them to choose a song that highlighted both leading men. Andrew Rannells is wonderful in "I Believe," though, and in the end I guess it was a good decision. I love this performance, and I think it captures the show well:



Anything Goes
did their title number, which isn't surprising. It definitely is the best number to highlight the choreography (for which Kathleen Marshall won!). Joel Grey introduces the number (I think he means "title song" instead of "final song").


Sutton won! Not a surprise, but it made me happy. I also adore her and Bobby Cannavale as a couple (he's one of my favorite actors), and it was sweet to see her acknowledge him. He was nominated for Best Actor in a Play for The Motherf**ker with the Hat, in which he is brilliant.



I was disappointed that The Scottsboro Boys didn't win anything, despite being nominated for twelve awards. It's a great musical that closed way too soon. Luckily it'll be going on tour soon! It was really nice to see the cast reunite at the Tony Awards for a performance.



How to Succeed in Business Without Really Trying gave Daniel Radcliffe the opportunity to show the nominating committee how crazy they were for not nominating him:



Catch Me If You Can was fun. Norbert Leo Butz, who won the Tony for Best Actor in a Musical, got to show off his stuff.



Let's see, what else? I wasn't surprised Mark Rylance won Best Actor in a Play for Jerusalem, and although some people are outraged that he beat Joe Mantello (The Normal Heart), I don't mind that Rylance won; I loved him in Jerusalem. He gave a crazy speech when he won a few years ago for Boeing-Boeing, and his speech this year was in the same vein; once again he recited a poem by Louis Jenkins.

The Normal Heart did receive two acting awards in the supporting categories, for Ellen Barkin and John Benjamin Hickey. I wanted Elizabeth Rodriguez (The Motherf**ker with the Hat) to win supporting actress, but again, I wasn't surprised that Barkin won. The Normal Heart also won Best Revival of a Play, and I was happy for the show.

I guess that's all for now. I may add more thoughts later. For a list of the winners, go here.

No comments: