Tuesday, November 10, 2009

"I can hardly stay up, and I can't get to sleep, and I don't want to wake tomorrow morning at the bottom of some heap. But why take it so seriously? After all, there's nothing at stake here - only me." ~nine

I was lucky enough to see an advance screening of the movie Nine tonight. It doesn't come out until Christmas Day, so it was a rough cut and we had to take a survey afterward (I guess they're still editing). I loved it, though. It's based on the stage musical, and it's a beautiful, beautiful adaptation. The performances were very strong; Daniel Day Lewis, Marion Cotillard, and Penelope Cruz were absolutely wonderful. I also enjoyed the cinematography. They can do some really cool things on film that they obviously can't do on stage, and Rob Marshall definitely took advantage of that. Go see it when it comes out.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

What was Fergie, Kate and Nicole like??

Claire said...

Hm...well, they weren't as good as the three leads I mentioned. I didn't like Kate Hudson (but I suppose part of that is the character and the song that she has). Nicole Kidman was tolerable, but she can't sing nearly as well as Laura Benanti, who played that role in the Broadway revival. Fergie was actually good, though. Those three women had pretty small roles.