Friday, August 07, 2009

"Johnny Cash died today, and you'd say, you'd say, "It's not like Elvis, it's not like Elvis, it's not like Elvis, it's not like Elvis, though, is it?" And you would be right." ~the wave pictures

I went to a concert tonight. It was sooo good. It was at South Street Seaport, which is a beautiful place for a concert; behind the stage were ships docked at the pier. I got a spot in the center of the front row. FIrst up was Slow Club. I love them. Love, love, love them. Of the three bands that played, I was most eager to see them. They were great, but their set was too short. They closed with "Christmas TV," one of my favorite songs (it was featured in the season finale of Chuck). I was all ready to take a perfect video of the last song, and then they came down into the crowd to play the song. They opened the barricades right in front of me to get by, and there was a funny moment with Charles getting his foot stuck. They did the song acoustically, without mics or anything. It was beautiful, although I selfishly kind of wished they had stayed onstage so I could have gotten a better video (but this was still pretty cool). Their cameraman and a photographer were really blocking my view. I focused on Rebecca because I had a better view of her than of Charles. It was so difficult for me not to sing along, but I didn't want to spoil the audio so I mouthed all the words instead. Anyway, here's what I ended up with:


The Wave Pictures
were next. I'm a fan of theirs and I enjoyed them as well. I took of them performing my favorite song of theirs, "Now You Are Pregnant." The sound on the video is really weird, though; it's not good (and I don't know why, because it's a quiet song and usually those are fine). So I'm not posting it yet. I'll probably try to use the audio from my audio recording and synch it with the video; is anyone really good at that? It was a beautiful version of the song.

CasioKids
closed out the show. I didn't stay for their whole set. It was a really good evening, though. Beautiful weather, beautiful location, and great music; what more could you ask for? The pictures I took didn't turn out well at all because of the lighting. I got audio that hopefully I'll share eventually. I have six concerts recorded from the last month or so that I haven't tracked yet; I'm really behind. I'm not sure how good this one will be, though; the front row is the worst spot from which to record. We'll see.

No comments: