Tuesday, October 07, 2008

"Well this is how we do things now, yeah this is how the modern stay scared. So I cut out all the good stuff, yeah I cut off my foot to spite my leg..." ~frightened rabbit

I went to the taping of Daniel Radcliffe's Inside the Actor's Studio interview on Monday. It was about three-and-a-half hours long. After listening to him talk for three-and-a-half hours (and after seeing him onstage naked for a prolonged period of time in Equus), I feel like I know Mr. Radcliffe. And he seems like a great guy. He's very humble, and he's also very funny. His Harry Potter fame hasn't gone to his head. He's very appreciative of that role and yet is already moving beyond it; he can do so much more than Harry Potter. I enjoyed listening to him and learning more about him. The interview will obviously be drastically edited for TV, so I'm glad I was able to be there for the taping and got to see the entire thing (even though I was fidgety and starving and exhausted by the end of it).

My favorite moment (what Daniel described as the stupidest thing he's ever said): At the end there was a Q&A session with the audience. After one audience member asked what roles he might like to play in the future, another audience member suggested that his diminutive stature makes him perfect for playing Napoleon. Daniel then told a funny Napoleon story. During a late night shoot, around 1:00am, Daniel wrapped something around himself to stay warm. He was cold and tired and apparently out of it. His dresser told him that he looked like Napoleon. Daniel asked, "Do you know what Napoleon's first name was?" His dresser paused and gave him a strange look before replying, "Napoleon." Daniel's (completely serious) response was, "So his name was Napoleon Napoleon? That's odd." I guess it doesn't seem so funny in print, but the way he told it was great. He's a very charismatic guy.

Tonight I'm going to see Speed the Plow on Broadway (Nicole got comps). I'm so excited. I like Jeremy Piven (although I'm not sure he deserves the multiple Emmy and Golden Globe awards that have been heaped upon him from Entourage; it's getting a bit ridiculous that he wins every year). I've heard good things about the play. I'll report back.

Teaching is going well (of course now that I've said that I'm sure it will blow up in my face). Of course I have to deal with behavior problems every day, but I guess I'm more used to it. For the first time, I feel like I might actually be a good teacher someday. Not yet, because I know I have so much left to learn, but someday I think I could be good at this. I think I'm off to a much better start than I was last year; it's wonderful to have some experience under my belt, and I know the kids can sense it. Some of them are so sweet. And they're all great when you're working with them 1:1. I've grown accustomed to the fact that they are nice kids, they just don't understand how to behave in school and it is impossible to change some of their behavior. I have to work with what I've got. My students' math teacher is not doing so great, though. The kids are tearing her apart. It's not good, and it'll be really bad if that behavior spills over into my classroom. We'll see what happens.

No comments: