Monday, April 02, 2007

"I don't know anymore what it's for. I'm not even sure if there is anyone who is in the sun. Will you help me to understand? 'Cause I've been caught in between all I wish for and all I need. Maybe you're not even sure what it's for any more than me. May God's love be with you, always. May God's love be with you." ~joseph arthur

I've had that song on repeat for awhile now. It's wonderful.

My kids found me on Facebook. I'm "friends" with some of them now. Heh. I love them.

I am so ready for spring break. Have I mentioned that already? Be prepared to hear it a few more times this week. I'm going home for Easter; it'll be the first Easter I've spent at home in 4 years. Then on Monday my mom and I are flying to Columbia, S.C. to visit my grandparents . My aunt and uncle and one of my cousins will be there at the same time, so I'll get to spend time with them. My grandparents are moving to a smaller house soon, and we'll all help them get ready for the move. They said I can claim any items from their house that I want. Another one of my uncles will be there the week after and is driving back up north in a rented truck, in which he'll take all the stuff that us northern family members have claimed. My grandparents have a pretty big house and waaaay too much stuff; my grandmother is a packrat (a trait I inherited from her). So there's no way all their furniture and everything will fit in their new house. I don't know what furniture I'll be able to fit into my NYC apartment, either.

My grandparents are thrilled about the move, so of course I'm happy because they are, but I'm also a little sad about it. I love their house. It's a beautiful, brick house with huge white pillars in front, holding up the second-floor balcony that overlooks the front yard. It sits atop a hill and is stately and southern. It was the first house in which I lived. I was born in Columbia and was brought back from the hospital to that house. I have many fond memories there. It is a child's dream house. My grandmother collects teddy bears, and they inhabit every single room. They overflow from antique benches, shelves and miniature pieces of furniture tucked into corners. They sit on tiny chairs at tiny tables decorated with beautiful, hand-painted tea sets (I can't even count how many such arrangements there are, but they are scattered throughout the house). Gran taught me what she called "Claire Bear's song" but what is actually titled "The Teddy Bear's Picnic." I still have it memorized. We would sing it as I played with the bears at their never-ending tea parties. The walls are covered in needlepoint creations (one of them being my first needlepoint attempt), pictures, and random odds-and-ends. In the piano room is a beautiful loveseat that is always piled with presents. Whenever Gran spots something that she thinks a friend or family member would like, she buys it, wraps it, and saves it for a special occasion (she often forgets what it is by then). One room is filled with her cards. She makes and sells calligraphy cards; she runs a pretty good business. The room is stocked with shelves for the cards, and when no one is sleeping in the room, the beds are covered with piles of cards. Whenever I visit she tells me to pick out the cards I like. She made some with a Bono quote especially for me. Photos fill the house. They sit on every inch of free space. They're mostly photos of me and my cousins, but there are also photos of my mom and her brothers when they were younger, other relatives, and my grandparents on some of their many trips. There are candy dishes scattered throughout the house, and they always feature some sort of seasonal candy (it will most likely be jelly beans for Easter). There is a pool out back that I love. I could go on and on about my grandparents' house, but I'll stop now. I'll miss it. I'll have to take lots of pictures during this trip.

2 comments:

Heather said...

awww, that's a really nice piece, claire -- about their house. we're getting ready to put my grandparents' / grandfather's house on the market, so I sort of know the feeling. pictures are a great way to remember things - words, too.

and that's funny about facebook friending your kids - ha.

Claire said...

Thanks, Heather. :-)