Sunday, September 11, 2005

“If you haven’t heard him…man, it’s like he boiled down all the melancholy in the world, all the bruises and all the f**ked up dreams you’ve let go, and poured the essence into a little tiny bottle and corked it up. And when he starts to play and sing, he takes the cork out, and you can smell it. You’re pinned into your seat, as if it’s a wall of noise, but it’s not-it’s still, and quiet, and you don’t want to breathe in case you frighten it away.” ~nick hornby

That quote is about Nick Drake, but it can apply to lots of musicians. Well, maybe not lots. More like a select few. It’s hard to create music that meaningful. But when you do…it can knock people off their feet. If those people are willing to listen for the melancholy.

I have discovered that I’m a housewife at heart (but I’d like to think I’m not desperate). I love cleaning and cooking. I was mopping today and I actually liked it. It gave me such a sense of accomplishment.

I have also realized that I’m really happy right now. I know that can change in an instant, but I just feel incredibly content. Today I was sitting in the living room with Matt and Rich and the door was open and the sun was shining in (our front door is a sliding glass door). We weren’t talking; Rich was reading the paper and Matt and I were snacking. And I felt so peaceful and…happy. For no reason. But it was cool. And it made me realize that I really do love it here.

No comments: