Thursday, September 08, 2005

"As my memory rests but never forgets what I lost, Wake me up when september ends." ~green day

In my Education class today we had a guest speaker who spent some time in NYC as a literary consultant. She really pissed me off. She worked in the Bronx for a few months. I know the educational system there isn't perfect, but it still really annoyed me to hear someone else (particularly a foreigner who only spent a few months there) criticise it (which is mainly what she did). And I think the class got the idea that the entire American public education system is like that (in shambles), which it isn't. She didn't even live in the Bronx, she lived in Manhattan. You can't fully understand the system when you don't even live in the same environment where the kids come from and when you don't even spend an entire school year there. I know that I haven't experienced that school system yet, but I know I'll be teaching and living in NYC (probably one of the outer boroughs) right after I graduate college. Anyway, she pissed me off. But I didn't say anything.

It's really difficult to write an essay with a partner. I'm working on that now and I've learned that I'm an independent worker and I'm not very patient. My partner is one of my friends and I get along with her and I really like her, but it's still hard. She's been typing, and I'm used to typing and revising as I go along but it's harder to do that now. I'm used to doing projects together, but not writing 5-page essays. I suppose it's a learning experience that will develop my cooperation skills.

I'm in love with Nick Hornby. Add him to my list of future husbands. I don't know how I'll manage to marry all of them. But he's definitely on my list. He's a genius. Never mind that he's a middle-aged Londoner who doesn't know I exist and who is probably married (I don't know if he is, though. I'll pretend he's not). I want someone like him who's witty and articulate and hilarious and who "gets" me (isn't it funny that I feel like he "gets" me and we've never met?). I'm afraid I'll never be satisfied if I don't marry a famous novelist or a rock star or something like that. I've got to lower my standards, because I don't think Nick Hornby will be knocking on my door any day soon. Besides, it seems like those famous geniuses (writers, musicians, etc.) are the ones who are often troubled. Like the amazing qualities that make them so appealing are the ones that end up bringing them down and making them miserable and misunderstood. So I should probably try to find a normal, average, happy bloke and be satisfied with interacting with those extraordinary guys through their art (reading their books, listening to their music, etc.).

Oh, and another thing. I can't stand Andre Agassi. Robby Ginepri better beat him in the next round (I've met Robby and he's a nice guy).

And another thing. I'm in a computer lab right now, and there's only one other person in here (which normally would be a miracle, except it's pretty late right now) and she's talking to herself. Which is a little creepy. She keeps mumbling things and seems to be getting really worked up.

And one more thing. I'm obsessed with eBay. Someone needs to keep me away from that site. I've spent way too much money there, especially lately considering the fact that I haven't made any money in a while and am spending lots of it. That is all. For real. I think.

No comments: