Sunday, September 04, 2005

“He looks at her and he says, ‘We’re going to a party. It’s a birthday party. It’s your birthday party. Happy birthday, darlin’.” ~bright eyes

I love that song. I love that album. I love that band. I wish they would open for U2. Still waiting for an announcement on the opening act for my show(s). It should be soon.

Thanks to everyone who’s sent me happy birthday wishes. It was very sweet of you all. :-)

It’s funny how the littlest things can be so important. A simple ‘Happy Birthday’ sign from my flatmates made me so happy this morning. I didn’t think they’d even remember my birthday because it’s the last day of the holidays and they’re all getting ready to go back to school. It was my turn to cook tonight but instead they took me out to dinner. Then we drove up to a great lookout of the city; it was absolutely beautiful to see all the lights of Dunedin. Back at the flat we had one of the best chocolate cakes I’ve ever had. They got it from this really fancy bakery in town, and it was soooo rich. Matt tried to convince me to go out to the bars tonight but I wasn’t in the mood, so we stayed in and watched the movie A View From the Top. It turned out to be a really good day. Almost as fun as my kidnapping on my birthday last year. I’ve only lived with and known these people for two months, but they’re like my family here and they were really great today.
I got some great birthday presents from the fam. The O.C. complete season 1 dvds, tickets to “The Woman in White” on Broadway for when I get home (2nd row!), and other Broadway-related stuff like a few cast recordings and a great book on the history of Broadway.
I can’t believe I only have 6 more weeks of classes here. It’s gone by pretty quickly. I think I’ll miss it when I go back home, even though right now I do miss a lot back in the U.S. I’m weird like that; I’m never satisfied with what I have at the time. I guess it’s kind of like “you never know what you have until you lose it.” Right now I appreciate everything back at home that I usually take for granted, and when I’m back there, I’ll begin to appreciate the amazing opportunities I have here.

No comments: