Saturday, September 17, 2005

“Here’s your sign.” ~bill engvall

Last night I watched the Blue Collar Comedy Tour dvd and I’ve never laughed so hard in my life. It was hi-larious. I think things are much funnier when you’re watching them with other people who think they’re funny. I was with some friends who are all American girls (except for one Swede) and two of them have seen it many times before; they love it. So they’d start to laugh when a funny part was coming up and that would make me start to giggle simply because I knew a good joke was coming on. Laughter is infectious. So anyway, I recommend watching that, especially with some friends who will appreciate the humor.

The NZ election was last night, and the candidate that I preferred won, so I’m happy. It was really close; she only won by 1.1%. Yep, the Prime Minster is a woman. And she was just reelected to her third term. I saw her speak at our school a few weeks ago, which was cool. I love how none of the Kiwis I know attended her speech. And they’re the ones that can vote, not me. I think I followed the election more closely than most New Zealanders. It was really interesting to me; it’s very different than the American system. I won’t bore you with the details, but it’s pretty complicated. You can form coalitions with other parties (there are lots of political parties). Most Kiwis admit that it’s pretty screwed up. And the debates here are crazy! There’s hardly any structure. The moderator will ask a question and the candidates will just go at each other. They’re not given specified time to talk, it’s more like a conversation, so they’ll start yelling at each other and talking over each other and the audience yells at both of them. After a while the moderator will decide that they’ve screamed at each other enough and will ask a new question, and they’ll go at each other again.

No comments: