Sunday, March 16, 2008

"Oh, where do we disappear into the silence that surrounds us and then drowns us in the end. Where they try to push you out to keep you in. I say come again, come again, come again, come again. In 1492 Columbus sailed the ocean blue. In 1493 came home across the deep blue sea. In 1494 he did it with the girl next door. In 1495 he barely made it out alive. In 1964 these sailors left me at the door. In 1970 some people got their hands on me. Now I'm the king of everything, and I'm the king of nothing now. I am the king of everything, I am the king of nothing. Oh, where do we disappear into the silence that surrounds us and then drowns us in the end. Where all these people who impersonate our friends say come again, come again, come come again. Oh, where do we disappear into the silence that surrounds us and then drowns us in the end. Where they try to get you out to get you in. And all these people who impersonate our friends say come again, come again, come again, come again, come again." ~counting crows

That's from 1492, the opening track of Counting Crows' new album Saturday Nights & Sunday Mornings. I absolutely love that song. The first time I heard it, a really, really long time ago (years ago), I didn't get it. Now it blows me away. Especially when AD sings the line "some people got their hands on me." I love hearing the tension in his voice escalate. I'm going to a Counting Crows concert tonight and I really hope they play 1492 (I bet they will).

This isn't such a good weekend. This morning I found out that yesterday my grandpa fell and broke his hip in three places. They need to operate but they can't right now because of some other health reasons. He's in a lot of pain and it's not good. In the past two weeks, three of my four grandparents have entered the hospital. It really, really sucks. I know I'm lucky that all four of my grandparents are still alive, but I really want them to be okay. And I'm worried.

A much less serious problem is that our mouse has returned. Or maybe it's a new one. Either way, it's not a good thing. Sandra has determined that it's a "she" because it's very sneaky. We set up a trap, and less than twenty minutes later the cheese was not in the trap (but neither was the mouse). Yesterday I saw the mouse in the bathroom. It came into my room twice this morning, ran around, and then ran out. I'm sick of it. I hate mice. I'm afraid we trapped it inside the apartment, though, because we put steel wool around the places we think it might have used to get in. This instance is one of the reasons I don't really want to see Ratatouille. I can't imagine how anyone who's had a rodent in their apartment (which is most New Yorkers) could possibly think rodents are cute. I certainly don't.

Hopefully the Counting Crows concert tonight will cheer me up.

No comments: