Sunday, March 09, 2008

"I was spending my days with my demons, yeah, they had taken up inside of my heart. They were trying to keep me entertained, they were tearing me apart.
Well, my memory, she was packing, yeah, and I knew that she would never come back. She handed me a letter and then she vanished in the black. And the letter said:
'Things are what you make of them, things are what you make of them, baby. And you know what I mean, yeah, you know what I mean.'
Well, I met up with my common sense, and I knew her by the rose in her hair. She said: 'Son, if you don't make a noise, God will never know you're there.'
So I purchased me a ticket, yeah, for a meeting with Jesus Christ. He shook my hand and offered me just this thimble of advice. He was telling me: 'Things are what you make of them . . .'" ~bishop allen

I'm in love with Bishop Allen right now, and I couldn't choose just one part of that song.
Dead Man's Cell Phone was interesting. Mary-Louise Parker was wonderfully quirky; I loved seeing her live and in such a small, intimate theater. The play itself wasn't exactly my cup of tea; it wasn't bad at all, it was just a little too bizarre for me. But I was glad I got to see it. And ushering was definitely the way to go, because I got to see it for free (and I got a very good seat; actually, all of the seats in that theater are good because it's so small).

In the Heights opened today to mostly positive reviews. Here's the review that matters the most, the New York Times. Isherwood has some complaints with the show but basically writes a love letter to Lin-Manuel Miranda, who is absolutely deserving of all the praise he's receiving. Go see this show if you can. Trust me, you'll love it.

No comments: