Saturday, March 08, 2008

"I used to think we lived at the top of the world. When the world was just a subway map, and the 1-slash-9 climbed a dotted line to my place." ~in the heights

Last night I saw the Broadway production of In the Heights. It was fabulous; I absolutely loved it. It's about Washington Heights, which is the neighborhood in which I teach. I would have loved the show even if I weren't familiar with the neighborhood, but having Washington Heights as such as an important part of my life right now made the musical especially meaningful to me. Today someone asked me if it was realistic. Well, I don't usually see people singing and dancing as I walk down the street. I suppose I'd say it's a slightly romanticized look at the neighborhood. The guy who conceived, composed, and stars in it is from the area, and while you're watching it you can definitely sense that the musical is rooted in a familiarity with and a love for Washington Heights. It's fun and entertaining with great music and dancing, but it has depth because it addresses immigration and the concept of home and other issues that are really prevalent to WH's inhabitants. So I loved it. I just wish it were more accessible to people who actually live in Washington Heights. I don't think many of them make it down to Broadway very often.
Here's me and Karen Olivo, one of the stars, a few years ago (after a performance of Brooklyn):
Karen Olivo

Tonight I'm meeting my parents for dinner and then I'm ushering at Dead Man's Cell Phone, starring the always amazing Mary-Louise Parker (I love her). I'm excited!

No comments: