Monday, March 17, 2008

"I may take a holiday in Spain, leave my wings behind me. Flush my worries down the drain, and fly away to somewhere new." ~counting crows

So I realize I've said this after the last two Counting Crows concerts I've been to, but last night's concert was really the best concert I've ever been to. Words cannot describe how fantastic it was. First of all, I got a prime spot standing in the center of the front row (I didn't think I could get a better spot than last time, but I did). Adam was spitting on me and I loved it. I love being able to make eye contact with the band as they're playing; it makes me feel connected to them and like I'm a part of the magical experience that's going on. I was fortunate enough to get my fab spot because I met up with people who got there to line up at 1:00pm (the concert started at 9:30pm). So the first fabulous thing was my spot.

The second fabulous thing was the setlist. It was so freakin' amazing. They opened with Goodnight L.A., which was a great surprise. They played what some of us have determined is the longest version of Goodnight Elisabeth ever played. Seriously. It must have been 15 minutes long. How many bands play 15-minute songs?! (ETA: I have the recording now and it was actually 17 minutes long, not even including the intro). AD just kept going into different alternates and I kept expecting him to segue back into Goodnight Elisabeth but then he'd pull in another song. During Goodnight Elisabeth they played alternate lyrics from I Guess it's Christmas Coming Down, Pale Blue Eyes(!!!), and It's Alright. I couldn't get enough of it; I didn't want the song to end (I LOVE GNE). They played a great version of Round Here with Have You Seen Me Lately alternates AND Radiation Vibe alternates. They played Anna Begins. They played acoustic Miami. They played A Long December (with my fave "I am feathered" A Murder of One alternates, including the great line "I have wings" thrown in there). They played all my favorite songs from the new album (1492, Los Angeles, When I Dream of Michelangelo, Washington Square). And they closed with my favorite song, Holiday in Spain. It was nearly perfect. I could not believe it. Oh, and I got one of Dan's guitar pics, which was exciting!
They played for over 2.5 hours; it didn't end until after midnight. Adam was drinking and was definitely drunk by the end of the concert, but he was still at the top of his game. The band has had such a high level of intensity and energy at the New York shows they've played in the past few months, and I am so fortunate to have seen that (and in such small, intimate venues). I know I am so incredibly lucky.

I got three hours of sleep last night, so I'm pretty exhausted. Tonight Nic and I went to an Irish bar to celebrate St. Patrick's Day, but we went early and didn't stay for more than a couple of hours because I really need to get to bed. So now I need to get a few things ready for tomorrow, take a shower, and then collapse. This is going to be a difficult week, but luckily I have Friday off.

My pictures from the concert (videos to come later this week).

No comments: