Saturday, May 01, 2010

"Don't be bitter Anna, I know how you think. You're waiting for Radio City to sink. You'll find commiseration in everyone's eyes. The storm will suck the pretty girls into the skies. Oh, our lonely kicks are getting harder to find. We'll play nuns versus priests until somebody cries. Oh, our lonely kicks they'll make us say anything. We'll play nuns versus priests until somebody wins. Leave our red southern souls, Head for the coast. Leave our red southern souls, Everything goes." ~the national

I'm editing this post to say that I didn't realize I was posting the same song lyrics I posted yesterday. Obviously you can tell what song is stuck in my head. So I'll just leave it. And I'll move on to a new song by The National for my next post. :D I've transcribed all the lyrics to all the songs on High Violet, which is no small feat (especially considering how difficult it is to understand what Matt is saying). I responded to a poll asking for peoples' favorite song from High Violet, and it was impossible to choose one. I picked "England," but my favorite song really changes every day. Tomorrow it might be "Sorrow." Or "Lemonworld." Or "Terrible Love." Or "Little Faith" (quoted above).

I don't think I ever posted about Everyday Rapture here, but it needs to be mentioned. It's Sherie Rene Scott's show (she wrote it based on her life and she performs it). It started off-Broadway at Second Stage, and I saw it there and loved it. It was brought to Broadway after Megan Mullally quit Lips Together, Teeth Apart and that show fell apart. Everyday Rapture was a very last-minute, unexpected addition to the Broadway season, and I am SO happy that it made it. I saw it on Broadway last weekend, and it just opened to rave reviews. Here are some snippets from Ben Brantley's rave in the New York Times:
Just as the Broadway theater season is drawing to its close, a smashing little show has arrived to remind us of why so many of us keep going back to Broadway, even though it’s broken our heart so many times.

“Everyday Rapture,” which opened on Thursday night at the American Airlines Theater, is by no means a conventional Broadway musical. Yet I can’t think of another production in recent years that captures and explains so affectingly the essence and allure of musicals, and why they’re such an indispensable part of the New York landscape.

....“Everyday Rapture” tells the ostensibly familiar story of a girl from the American heartland who falls in love with showbiz — and its capital city, Manhattan — from a distance, breaks away from a confining hometown that has never understood her and becomes a big star of big hit musicals in New York....The girl is named Sherie Rene Scott, and she is portrayed by Sherie Rene Scott in what you could safely say is the role of a lifetime.

....What Ms. Scott and her team summon here is that strange alchemy of ego, hunger, desperation and mysticism that infuses every great Broadway performance. That’s what turns human specks of dust into starlight. In breaking down the chemistry of that transformation, Ms. Scott has never shined brighter or more illuminatingly.
Mr. Brantley so eloquently expresses what I feel about the show and Ms. Scott. I really, really hope she wins a Tony for this (for best book or for best actress or both). Here's a peek at the show:


There's also a good excerpt from the play on the left side of the NYTimes review that I like listening to.

No comments: