Friday, May 21, 2010

"Well I'm all messed up, that's nothing new. Hey monkey, when you open up your blue eyes, I don't know if I'm wide awake or dreaming. But all I ever need is everything. Hey monkey, where you been? This lonely spiral I've been in. Hey monkey, when can we begin? Hey monkey, where you been? Just get the world off your shoulders, and close your pretty blue eyes. Hey monkey, what's life without an occasional surprise?" ~counting crows

School is stressing me out more than ever right now (and seriously, that's saying a lot), so I'll write about happy stuff.

Last Sunday was my brother's college graduation. Of course I was gone for two nights, and those had to be the two nights that The National played in NYC. Figures. Just my luck, right? I'm really pissed about missing the BAM show, because I freakin' love the setlist. But I've seen them eight times already, and I'll see them a ninth time in June (at Radio City Music Hall), so I guess I'll live. And I couldn't miss my brother's graduation. It was a nice weekend. It was good to spend time with my parents and grandmother and brother, none of whom I see very often.

I saw Next to Normal on Monday for the fifth time. I'm obsessed. It was Brian d'Arcy James' first show, so it was cool to be there for that. It seemed like most people were there for him; he got a huge round of entrance applause. I'm in love with J. Robert Spencer in the role of Dan so I was wary going into it, but I was very impressed with Brian's performance. I've seen him in quite a few things on Broadway (Time Stands Still, Shrek, The Lieutenant of Inishmore) and he's a great actor. He originated the role of Dan off-Broadway, but he left to play Shrek. He really nailed the emotional side of Dan. There were quite a few real tears from him. I think Bobby Spencer is still my favorite Dan, but I was still very pleased with Brian.

Jessica Philips was on as Diana. I've seen Alice Ripley in the role for which she won a Tony Award all the previous times I've seen the show, so it was actually nice to see her understudy (about whom I had heard many raves). She has the most gorgeous voice, and her take on the part is very different from Alice's, but I thought it worked. I was very glad I got to see her.

I'm curious about the emotional toll that the show must take on Jennifer Damiano. Jenn has been with the show for more than two years, since it began at Second Stage. She just turned 19 last week. She was 16 when the show began. She hardly ever misses performances (she and Adam are the only two actors who have been on every single time I've seen the show). And the role of Natalie is not an easy one; it seems incredibly taxing, emotionally and vocally. And she pours her heart and soul into it eight times a week. For someone so young to be so dedicated to something is really impressive to me.

Overall it was a really, really great performance. The fact that it was Brian's first performance made it special. Hopefully I'll go back soon.

Hopefully I'll have new shows to write about soon. I think Nic and I are seeing Memphis tomorrow. And next Sunday I'm seeing American Idiot with Shannon!


I'll leave you with Next to Normal's Tony performance. It's not perfect (Alice's timing is a bit off), but I think Bobby is great in it.
I really miss Aaron.

No comments: