Monday, May 24, 2010

"New York, concrete jungle where dreams are made of, there's nothing you can’t do, now you're in New York. These streets will make you feel brand new, the lights will inspire you, let's hear it for New York, New York, New York." ~jay-z feat. alicia keys

Posting twice in one day! How about that!

This is just a quick post (in response to my previous post) to say that the Sex and the City 2 premiere was so, so, so much fun. The "regular people" entered Radio City before the celebs, and we got to watch a red carpet feed on giant screens inside. It was fun to see the celebs finally enter the theater in person. I saw Chris Noth, Liza Minelli, Willie Garson, Jason Lewis, John Corbett, and more. Michael Patrick King introduced the film, and he also introduced the four lovely ladies. I got a video of that, although the quality is quite bad (I'm sure there are tons more on youtube).

You can't see it well in the video, but go look for photos of SJP's dress (I'm too tired to find any now). I LOVE IT. Not many people would be able to pull off that color, but if anyone can it's SJP. I adore her. And I love how she always takes fashion risks.

DON'T WORRY, NO SPOILERS AHEAD, NOTHING THAT'S NOT IN THE TRAILER
The movie was just a lot of fun. Seeing it with all those people in the theater was quite an experience. It was a very enthusiastic audience. There were a few moments during the film when everyone clapped very loudly: some major ones were for Liza Minelli, who's awesome, and when John Corbett (AIDAN!!!) came onscreen. I love Aidan. So much. Really, really love him. I would marry him if I could. So I was thrilled to see him in the film.

In an interview a long time ago, SJP said that the film would reflect the effects of the recession. I didn't see that at all; there was more lavishness than ever. But it's Sex and the City, so the extravagance is to be expected. You need to know that going into it. Really, what fun would it be without all those crazy, expensive outfits? No fun at all. Carrie wouldn't be Carrie without her wardrobe.

The city in Sex and the City is New York; New York has always been one of the main characters of the franchise. I've read quite a few people say that it's the fifth friend. So I was worried that the trip to the Middle East would take something away from the film. But I guess there was still enough New York for me, and it was interesting to see a change of scene.

The movie just made me happy. And what else could you ask for? I'm already thinking about what the critics will have to say about it, but I think it has to be viewed for what it is. I don't think it's aiming to be a piece of high art or to portray some significant message about the world or humanity or something deep. It's entertainment. And it's enjoyable entertainment if you take it for what it is.

The lobby:
My popcorn (Carrie On):

No comments: