Sunday, May 23, 2010

"I'll defend my family with my orange umbrella. I'm afraid of everyone, I'm afraid of everyone. With my shining blue star spangling tennis shoes on, I'm afraid of everyone, I'm afraid of everyone. With my kid on my shoulders I try not to hurt anybody I like. But I don't have the drugs to sort, I don't have the drugs to sort it out, sort it out." ~the national

The National performed "Afraid of Everyone" on Letterman awhile ago. It was fabulous, and I don't think I ever posted it here. So here it is. Sufjan Stevens is providing back-up vocals and he's adorably awkward. This is really a tremendous performance. I love what Letterman says about it.
"Man. Wow. Wonderful. I don’t know what to say. That was beautiful. Beautiful. Lovely. Lovely."

I couldn't have said it better myself, Dave.


The National performed at BAM last Saturday. Unfortunately I was at my brother's graduation, but it was filmed (and aired live) so I was still able to watch it (although the experience doesn't come close to actually being there). It was an amazing, amazing show. The setlist was stellar, and the band was so full of intensity. Here are some highlights:

Terrible Love: This version of the song is absolutely beautiful and heartbreaking.


Mr. November: I love how he always comes into the crowd during Mr. November. At Bell House, he jumped down from the stage right next to me. This is an epic concert song. The intensity is always off the charts.


England: Possibly my favorite song from the album.


Sorrow: Another favorite.


Sufjan Stevens was also onstage at the BAM concert. I love this collaboration.

Speaking of Sujfan Stevens, I was astounded to hear my mom say she's never heard of him. And I've heard some other people say the same thing. So just in case anyone reading this has never heard of him either, here's why you should know who he is (courtesy of wikipedia):
The widely acclaimed Illinois was the highest-rated album of 2005 on the Metacritic review aggregator site, based on glowing reviews from Pitchfork Media, The Onion A/V Club, Spin, Billboard, Entertainment Weekly, Rolling Stone, The New York Times, KEXP, and The Guardian. The 2006 PLUG Independent Music Awards awarded Stevens with the Album Of The Year, Best Album Art/Packaging, and Male Artist Of The Year. Pitchfork Media, No Ripcord, and Paste Magazine named Illinois as the editors' choice for best album of 2005.

So basically he came out with the best album of 2005, and he's incredibly talented. I took this photo of him a couple weeks ago at the High Violet Annex, when he introduced his film:


Finally, on a much lighter note, whenever I've been feeling bummed the last couple of days, I've watched this. How can you not smile while watching that adorably goofy man nearly crash his car?? He's just too funny. Zac Levi has been posting tons of photos on his facebook while traveling through Europe. He shares videos as well. And this one is the best. Seriously. He's awesome.
Zac

1 comment:

Danke said...

I really liked the Afraid of Everyone song. Have to look for it.

and to be honest I´ve heard of Sujfan Stevens only because of Lauren. I listened to his album and it´s not exactly my cup of tea.