Friday, September 04, 2009

"Inside you the time moves, and she don't fade. The ghost in you, she don't fade." ~the psychedelic furs (covered excellently by counting crows)

I'm heading out to spend my birthday with my cousin Bess, but I want to quickly post about Counting Crows at Central Park Summerstage last night. Because I've been looking forward to this all summer. And it was fantastic. I was the first person in line (a little before 8:00am). Some people I know from previous CC concerts and some people from the CCMB lined up after me, and I got to spend the day in line hanging out with them. The doors opened at 4:30pm, so I was in line for almost 9 hours, which is a long time. I got sunburned. But it got me the best spot once they let us into the venue (front row dead center).

The concert wasn't supposed to start until 6:00pm, but a little after 5:00pm, Adam and Dave came out and did an acoustic version of The Ghost in You. I wasn't ready to tape yet (the concert wasn't supposed to start for another hour), so I had to pull out my gear and quickly set it up while freaking out about them playing that song. Because it's rare. And I love it. I got about half of it. But it was really cool to just hear it. Especially with AD and Dave sitting a few feet away from me.
Before the concert started, they did a couple more acoustic tunes. AD and Immy did Blues Run the Game (I LOVE that song), and they also did Washington Square (with Dan Layus on harmonica). Those small acoustic songs were really great to hear, especially because they provided such a contrast with what was to come.

This was not a Counting Crows concert. It was The Saturday Night Rebel Rockers Traveling Circus and Medicine Show. That consists of the members of Counting Crows, Augustana, and Michael Franti & Spearhead. They began with Caravan, with nineteen people on stage all playing together. Then they launched into mini-sets featuring each band. Counting Crows definitely mixed up their setlist; they played Good Time(!), Catapult, Another Horsedreamer's Blues...those are unusual. And it was really cool to see them. They also did A Murder of One, A Long December, Omaha, Hanging Tree, Hard Candy, Mr. Jones, Have You Seen Me Lately, Why Should You Come When I Call, Angel from Montgomery, Going Back to Georgia (both of those with Emmy Rossum), Hangin' Around, Cecilia, Rain King, and This Land is Your Land. Mix some Augustana songs and some Michael Franti/Spearhead songs in there and you end up with a pretty freakin' amazing concert.

I'll post more later; I have to go now. But I'll leave you with a link to my photos from the show (there are some good ones).

And a couple of videos I took (unfortunately I ran out of memory on Rain King).
A Murder of One (Probably my absolute favorite song in the world. A line from it was the inspiration for my tattoo.):

Rain King:

And one photo that I love:
Just look at that face. I love him.

3 comments:

Danke said...

Wow, 9 hours, you are a freak:)) and true fan, but yay for getting the best spot. I like the Murder of One song too, you put it on my iPod, hehe. I feel like I should get more of theirs songs. The first song I ever heard from them is Colorblind, such a great song too.

Danke said...

oh, no, I think the first song was Accidentaly in love :D

Claire said...

Eh, if I had to choose to spend an entire day somewhere, Central Park (on a beautiful day) would be towards the top of my list. So that wasn't bad. :D

I think I put a whole album of theirs on your iPod! I'm a bit obsessed. Colorblind is a really good song! I'm not crazy about Accidentally in Love, but that's one that most people know I guess.