Saturday, September 19, 2009

"A pool is running for miles on the concrete ground. We're eight feet deep and the rain is still coming down. The TV's playing it all out of town. I'm grabbing at the fray for something that won't drown." ~mat kearney

Oh my goodness, what a gorgeous song. I love Mat Kearney.

Movie review post! I've seen a few movies lately, so here are some thoughts. I'm going to a screening of Whip It this week (I CANNOT wait, I love me some Ellen Page and Drew Barrymore), so I'll definitely report back on that by next weekend. Tomorrow's my two-play day (two Broadway shows). That'll be fun. And then on Monday it's back to...well, let's not think about that yet.

The Informant - I love Matt Damon, even when he's heavier than usual and even when he has an unattractive mustache and even when he's missing some hair (he's almost unrecognizable at the end of this movie). He's such a great actor (I hope he gets an Oscar nom for this). The movie is a very clever, well-done satire; Steven Soderbergh further proves his prowess. I'm a fan of his directing and he definitely didn't disappoint. Go see this movie.


Cloudy With a Chance of Meatballs
- Part of the reason I wanted to see this was because Lauren Graham's voice was in it. She had a really, really small role, but that was okay; I really liked the movie anyway. It was sweet and funny and had some great vocal talent.


It Might Get Loud
- Loved it. So, so good. It's a documentary featuring The Edge (U2), Jimmy Page (Led Zeppelin), and Jack White (the White Stripes) discussing the electric guitar. That may sound boring, but trust me, it's not at all. I particularly loved the U2 footage, of course. There was some concert footage I haven't seen before. I love listening to Edge talk. He just might be my favorite member of U2. He tends to be quiet and thoughtful, but when he speaks he's very well-spoken and always has something worthwhile to say. He's also surprisingly funny. He often gets overshadowed by Bono, but he's an incredibly talented musician who has learned to make the most of his instrument and I admire him very much. The film is like a love song to rock 'n' roll.


Extract
- I mostly saw this for Jason Bateman, and it was nice to look at him for a couple of hours. It was also nice to see him reunite with his Juno costar J.K. Simmons (such a good actor). I liked the acting and the characters (Ben Affleck was a particularly nice addition), but it was missing something. Maybe I just expected too much from the creator of Office Space (a brilliant film). It wasn't as funny as I thought it would be. It wasn't bad at all, it just didn't quite meet my expectations considering the talent involved.


Not in theaters, but I just saw Easy Virtue on video and was surprised at how much I enjoyed it. I watched it because I love Colin Firth and because someone highly recommended it to me, but I wasn't so sure because I'm not crazy about Noel Coward and I'm not a huge Jessica Biel fan. I was glad I watched it, though; it was a pleasant surprise. It was predictable and I did not like Jessica Biel, but Colin Firth and Kristin Scott Thomas (and Kris Marshall in his small role) totally saved it.

No comments: