Monday, August 31, 2009

"I went to a cobbler to fix a hole in my shoe. He took one look at my face and said, 'I can fix that hole in you.'" ~jenny lewis

That song ("Acid Tongue") is in my head now because Jenny Lewis played it at her 4th of July Battery Park concert, which I just now got around to tracking. What a gorgeous song. It's too bad there's some chatter going on in the background of my recording. I just finished tracking a whole bunch of concerts I had queued up from this summer (Jenny Lewis, Conor Oberst, M. Ward, Frightened Rabbit, the Wave Pictures). Maybe I'll post some of them soon.

I don't have much to write about today. I saw the movie District 9, though, and wanted to pimp it out here. I really, really enjoyed it. It's a sci-fi movie with more depth and heart than most. It makes you think and makes you feel, and really, what's more important than that?

Here are some snippets from the critics (see rottentomatoes for sources/links to full reviews):
"The most gripping, intriguing and compelling sci-fi allegory to grace the big screen since 1968's 'Planet of the Apes' -- and that makes it an instant sci-fi classic in its own right."

"A superb realization of satire, irony, humor and the horrific, with a kick in the guts to human nature and the technical challenges of sci-fi action and destruction."

"If you're looking for a film with a heart and a soul that isn't afraid to examine the essence of what it means -- and what it might cost -- to be human, this is it."
And here's what Kristen Bell had to say on twitter about it, just because I think it's funny:
"saw disctrict 9. loved it. the guys behind me were complaining there was not enough 'machinery! it needed was more fighting. and technology.' people are idiots. god forbid a movie focus on story. god forbid there is dialogue. i politely recommended they go see transformers again."
Finally, the trailer:


I'm heading back to New York on Tuesday! Of course in about a week I'll be so swamped with work I probably won't have time to write about all the fun stuff going on in the city.

1 comment:

gege said...

happy birthday from France