Wednesday, September 30, 2009

"The custom concern for the people is build up monuments and steeples to wear out our eyes. I get up just about noon, my head sends a message for me to reach for my shoes and then walk. Gotta go to work, gotta go to work, gotta have a job. Goes through the parking lot fields, didn't see no signs that they would yield, and then thought, this'll never end, this'll never end, this'll never stop. Message read on the bathroom wall said, "I don't feel at all like I fall." And we're losing all touch, losing all touch, building a desert." ~modest mouse

I love that song. I love forgetting how much I love it and then hearing it and being reminded of how gorgeous it is.

I have lots of recent stuff to write about, but here are just a few things fresh in my mind.

I saw Whip It tonight, and I loved it. It's a movie about roller derby and a teenager's search for identity, and it's a mother/daughter story. The mother/daughter team is made up of the brilliant actresses Marcia Gay Harden and Ellen Page. I love both of them, so it was such a treat to see them onscreen together. The supporting cast is very strong as well, featuring Drew Barrymore, Kristen Wiig, Juliette Lewis, and Jimmy Fallon. It's Drew Barrymore's directorial debut, and I was very impressed. The movie has a nice balance of comedy, action, and drama, and it flows well. I loved the music, although of course I wasn't surprised by that (I already knew about Drew Barrymore's good taste in music). It's just an all-around good movie. So go see it.

The cool thing about the screening was that Drew Barrymore came out afterwards and talked for about twenty minutes. I really like her, and hearing her talk about the film further cemented that for me. She seems so down-to-earth and has such a good attitude, and I really admire her. I took some videos while she was speaking, and I'll upload those tomorrow. For now I'll just share the Whip It trailer:



Oh my Glee. If you are not watching Glee, do yourself a favor, go here, and start watching it from the beginning. You've only missed five episodes so far; it'll be easy to catch up.

Kristin Chenoweth is on the most recent episode. How I love her. She plays an alcoholic floozy whom Will recruits to go back to high school and join the Glee Club, and she's hilarious. Here are her musical numbers:
Maybe This Time (oh.my.goodness. jaw->floor):

Alone:

Last Name:


I know Cheno can sometimes be grating, but I liked her in this role. And I like her in general. I won an essay contest that she judged (I won a ticket to see her perform at Carnegie Hall). Here's her response to what I wrote; I think it's special that she took the time to personally handwrite something on my essay.

That's all for now.

1 comment:

Danke said...

oh, is it theater related essay? Can I read it? please please please.