Saturday, August 01, 2009

"Then when there's no one to care, I could protect you like I've always been there. I'll become your bear. I'll sing statistics and hide the truth, I'll tell your dad anything that you want me to. I'll hide your locket under the dirt, I'll be your bird. I'll hide your locket under the dirt, I'll be your bird." ~m. ward

I think music is the best form of therapy. Go to an M. Ward concert (like I did tonight) and tell me you don't feel better afterwards. It automatically cheers you up; it's impossible to not get swept up in the beautiful energy of his music. I LOVE his voice. He is one of the most talented guitar players I've ever seen; I spent a good deal of time just staring at his fingers, amazed by how fast they moved. He's just wonderful. Unfortunately he didn't play my favorite song of his, "I'll be Yr Bird" (quoted above). Or "Hi-Fi," or "You Still Believe in Me" (two more favorites). In fact, I'm not sure he did more than one song from Transistor Radio (my favorite album of his). He very well may have, but I'm drawing a blank right now; all I can think of is "Big Boat." I'll have to listen to my recording. He mostly stuck to material from his newest album, Hold Time. But I was glad he did "Poison Cup," one of my favorite songs (from Post-War). I love his work in She & Him (with Zooey Deschanel), but I love his solo work as well and was glad to see him perform solo. We had a great spot, too. Nic got in line pretty early, for which I was grateful.

We weren't allowed to take pictures, but I managed to sneak a few. Obviously they're not very good because I was holding my camera to my chest inconspicuously (I couldn't hold it up in the air at all) and couldn't use a flash.



And here are a few random M. Ward tracks that I love (obviously by no means a complete collection, just some that are running through my head right now based on my mood):
(I might post my live recording here once I upload it.)

Get Your Own Player!


No comments: