Sunday, August 09, 2009

"We are the theatre, they are the people — dressed up to be seated, lookin’ upwards and dreamin’. We’re the projectors, we’re hosting the screening. We’re dust in the spotlights, we’re just kinda floating." ~the hold steady

A random assortment of topics today.

I saw Mary Stuart on Broadway today. Oh my goodness, I'm so glad I caught it before it closes next week. It was absolutely fabulous. If you don't know what it's about, here's some background info: it's a Schiller play (written in 1800, with a new translation onstage), and it takes place in 1587. Mary Stuart, Queen of Scotland, fled that country after a Protestant coup and was then imprisoned in England for plotting to kill her cousin, Elizabeth (the Queen of England) and take over the English throne. It's about Mary and Elizabeth and the struggle between them as Mary waits in prison for Elizabeth to decide her fate. Read the New York Times review (a rave) for a better overview. Here's a snippet about the brilliant leading ladies, Janet McTeer and Harriet Walter:
"They embody what may be the most storied rivalry in English history with a transfixing willfulness and devious artistry that could easily make the susceptible lose their heads.... It’s hard not to be at least a little in love with — and more than a little in awe of — the very leading ladies in Phyllida Lloyd’s crackling revival (first seen at the Donmar Warehouse in London) of this 1800 tragedy of double-dealing politics.....The classical combination of strengths, weakness and circumstance that define tragic heroes has seldom been parsed with such flash, vigor and lacerating insight."
I cannot say enough good things about the production, and I'm sad to see it close, although I'm so grateful I got to see it. I got front row seats, dead center, which were perfect. I love it when I'm spit on by the actors. I even got splashed with a few drops of water by Janet McTeer during the amazingly cool rainstorm onstage (seriously, it rains, a lot).

Random new topic: TJ Maxx has fabulous DVD deals. I bought Angels in America for $5.99 today! $5.99 for six hours of brilliance; do you believe it?! I LOVE this miniseries, I can't say enough good things about it, so to have the DVDs (at that price) makes me so happy. It won eleven Emmy Awards. Eleven! I can watch this over and over and be incredibly moved by it every time.
I also bought Tumbleweeds while I was there; it was only $3.99, and Janet McTeer's performance is brilliant. She won a Golden Globe and was nominated for an Oscar for the film. I now love her even more after seeing her in Mary Stuart. So go check out TJ Maxx's movie selection. They don't have a lot, but it's worth looking.

Annnnd, random topic #3: tomorrow will be a busy day. I'm lining up for Bye Bye Birdie tickets in the morning ($10 tickets to the first preview). I'm sure there will be tons of people there; it's the box office opening and they're having a big celebration. I also have to do laundry. And go to the library. And finish packing (I leave for Colorado on Tuesday). I should probably go up to my college and print my boarding pass (because I don't have a working printer in my apartment). Hopefully I'll get everything done.

ETA: Okay, never mind, ditch the Birdie tickets. There were already people lined up at midnight (for tickets that are being sold at noon). I'm not hardcore enough to spend 12 hours in line. I'll sleep in instead and just do HipTix ($20) for this one. I think I can afford the extra $10. That clears up tomorrow's schedule a bit.

Final, random thought pervading my mind: How lucky am I to live in NYC? Because I feel pretty darn lucky.

No comments: