Saturday, January 26, 2008

"Looking for somewhere to stand and stay, I leaned on the wall and the wall leaned away." ~the national

Pretty soon I'm heading off to the New York Athletic Club to meet my aunt, uncle, and cousin for lunch. Then we're going on a backstage tour of Radio City Music Hall. I can't wait. The NYAC is running this program/outing, and my relatives are members and kindly decided to invite me because they know I love all things theater/music-related.

I remember the last time I went to the NYAC. It was about a year ago, when I was still living at home in NJ. My mom and I came into the city, and on the spur of the moment my uncle decided we should all go to the NYAC for lunch. I was wearing jeans, not expecting to go out for a fancy lunch, and jeans are not allowed at the NYAC. My cousin Bess, who's 14 years old, is 5'7" and wears a size 0 or 2. I can't exactly share clothes with her. The only thing of hers that I could fit into was a pair of fancy, flowy velour pants. There was a matching jacket that I wore as well. Basically it was a fancy velour track suit, and I looked ridiculous in it, especially with the brown boots that I was wearing. But I amused my cousin and still managed to enjoy lunch (the food is really good there). My uncle reminded me not to wear jeans today (not that I needed reminding), and I plan on looking sharp enough to make up for my last appearance at the NYAC.

Here's a hilarious video you should see, spoofing the Tom Cruise scientology videos that have recently surfaced. Jerry O'Connell's impression is dead-on. He even looks a little bit like Cruise. I like Jerry O'Connell. I met him at my cousin's confirmation party, and he was very nice. He used to live in the same apartment building as my relatives and babysat for my cousins a lot.

No comments: