Saturday, February 02, 2008

"When the sun shines, we’ll shine together, told you I'll be here forever. Said I'll always be a friend, took an oath I'ma stick it out till the end. Now that it's raining more than ever, know that we'll still have each other. You can stand under my umbrella, you can stand under my umbrella (Ella ella eh eh eh). Under my umbrella (Ella ella eh eh eh). Under my umbrella (Ella ella eh eh eh). Under my umbrella (Ella ella eh eh eh eh eh eh)." ~Rihanna

I'm generally not a huge fan of pop music. It especially bugs me when certain songs are played over and over again on the radio. Actually, I don't really have that problem right now because I never listen to the radio anymore (I only used to listen to it in the car, and I never drive now; I listen to my iPod on the subway instead). Anyway, according to my usual standards I should hate Rihanna's song "Umbrella." But, against the odds, I absolutely love it. It's been around for a long time and I'm still not sick of it. Right now I'm listening to a playlist I made of different versions of the song. This is probably the most covered song of the year. Mandy Moore, Mechanical Bride, Amanda Palmer, Plain White T's, Tegan and Sara, Marie Digby and Biffy Clyro have all covered it (and I'm sure there are more versions that I don't have). My favorites are Mandy Moore's version and Tegan and Sara's version. I also like Rihanna's acoustic version. Mandy Moore's version is so stripped down and heartfelt; it's gorgeous. I think the song is so popular because it's so simple and yet so catchy. It's #1 on a bunch of lists of the best songs of the year; it seems to have universal appeal.

Last night Nic and I went to see Citizen Kane at the Loew's Jersey City. We went because it's one of those movies that you must see on the big screen at least once in your lifetime. It was named the Greatest American Movie of All Time by the AFI in 2007. It was an innovative masterpiece when it was made, and it's been able to stand the test of time; it really is brilliant. So it was worth getting completely soaked in the process of getting there (we got caught in last night's downpour). I hardly even realized that I was soaking wet as I watched the movie.

Tomorrow's the Super Bowl, and Giants fever is strong and growing even stronger here in NYC. I've definitely caught the bug; I'm excited. Go Giants!

No comments: