Sunday, February 03, 2008

"We are the champions, my friends. And we'll keep on fighting till the end. We are the champions, we are the champions, no time for losers 'cause we are the champions of the world." ~queen

GO GIANTS!!!

GAH!!! I'm so excited that they won. That was awesome. When they made that last touchdown, I could hear people jumping up and down in the apartment above mine. New York is going to go crazy over this. Someone definitely needed to take down the Patriots.

Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers gave a solid performance during the halftime show. I was surprised to hear that they were given the honor of performing; they don't seem like the typical kind of band for that gig. I wasn't disappointed that they were performing, just surprised. They did the songs I expected them to do and did them well.

I want to talk about She & Him, aka Zooey Deschanel and M. Ward. I absolutely adore them as individuals and have for some time. Zooey Deschanel is absolutely charming and hilarious in movies like Almost Famous, The Good Girl, Elf (in which she showed off her vocal skills), and the miniseries Tin Man. I think she's one of the most talented, underrated actresses around. M. Ward is an extremely talented musician (I've blogged about him before). His distinct, scratchy yet soothing voice is so beautiful and sends me back to a different era. His most recent album, Post-War, was one of my favorite albums of 2006.

When I first heard that these two ridiculously talented people were making an album together, I cannot describe how excited I was. That album, Volume One, will be released on March 18th. So far I've heard seven songs that they've sung together (most from KCRW), and I am so incredibly impressed. Their voices flow together and around each other perfectly. His scratchy voice and her smooth, deep, clear one complement and are made for each other. They really seem to have a shared, distinct vision. I can't wait to hear the album.
Photobucket

No comments: