Sunday, February 24, 2008

"Well, I know I don't know you and you're probably not what you seem. But I'd sure like to find out, so why don't you climb down off that movie screen?" ~counting crows

Happy Oscars 2008! Oscars night is one of my favorite nights of the year. It'll be a good show this year. Here are my predictions and wishes for the major categories:

Best Picture
Will Win: No Country for Old Men
Should Win: No Country for Old Men
I saw all the films nominated in this category (Atonement, Juno, Michael Clayton, No Country for Old Men, and There Will Be Blood) and really enjoyed all of them very much. But I've got to give it to the Coen brothers.

Best Actor
Will Win: Daniel Day-Lewis, There Will Be Blood
Should Win: Daniel Day-Lewis, There Will Be Blood
He really gave a fabulous, powerhouse performance. He carried this film. I wouldn't mind seeing Johnny Depp or George Clooney pull off an upset because I thought they were both amazing as well, but I'm pretty sure this is Day-Lewis's year.

Best Actress
Will Win: Julie Christie
Should Win: ?
I haven't seen all the nominees in this category so I can't judge who should win. It's Christie's Oscar to lose, though. I would love to see Ellen Page or Laura Linney win, but neither of them will. Marion Cotillard has the best chance of stealing it from Christie.

Best Supporting Actor

Will Win: Javier Bardem
Should Win: Javier Bardem
Javier Bardem played one of the best villains I've ever seen on-screen. I wish Paul Dano (There Will Be Blood) had been nominated, though; he was robbed.

Best Supporting Actress
Will Win: Cate Blanchett
Should Win:Tilda Swinton

Best Director
Will Win: The Coen brothers, No Country for Old Men
Should Win: The Coen brothers, No Country for Old Men

Best Original Screenplay
Will Win: Diablo Cody, Juno
Should Win: Diablo Cody, Juno

Best Adapted Screenplay
Will Win: The Coen brothers
Should Win: The Coen brothers

Best Original Song
Will Win: Falling Slowly, Once
Should Win: Falling Slowly, Once

So it looks like I agree with most of the frontrunners. Which is unusual. No matter who wins, I don't think I'll end up unhappy tonight. I love most of the films this year and am not strongly tied to any particular films or actors, so there aren't any big opportunities for disappointment. Sure, I've got a soft spot for Ellen Page and Laura Linney, but I'm not expecting anything from them so I can't be too disappointed by the result of that category (and Angelina Jolie isn't nominated, which is very relieving). Obviously I'm predicting a big night for the Coen brothers. I'm sure there will be some upsets, and I'm looking forward to that. I'm going over to Nic's to watch; we're having our usual awards show party. I'm excited!

No comments: