Sunday, February 04, 2007

"It's a town full of losers, and I'm pulling out of here to win."

I know, I know, I'm back to Bruce. It seemed appropriate considering the subject of today's post as well as the fact that the Super Bowl is tonight, though.
GO COLTS!!!

Whenever I hear Bruce sing that line, I expect to hear "When I think of Heaven..." right after it. Counting Crows cover Thunder Road, and they stick the song in the middle of Rain King, so Adam goes straight into "When I think of Heaven..." after singing the last line of Thunder Road. And that's always what I expect to hear.

The Oscars are quickly approaching. They are in exactly three weeks. And I can't wait. I love Oscar night. Sometimes I don't love it so much after they've given out the awards to the wrong people, but I love that feeling as they call the nominees' names and everyone holds their breath as the presenter begins to open the envelope. It's thrilling. Here are my predictions, along with who I think should win. I haven't seen all the nominated films, so in my "Should win" picks I'm going by what I've seen. Although I have noticed that many critics agree with my "should win" picks. I may change my predictions closer to Oscar night, because the buzz changes every day. But I'm fairly confident in what I have now.

Best Picture:
Will win: Babel
Should win: Little Miss Sunshine or The Departed (I'll be thrilled if either wins)

Best Actress:
Will win: Helen Mirren (The Queen)
Should win: Judi Dench (Notes on a Scandal)
This category is insane this year. It's filled with amazing performances. I thought Judi Dench was particularly good, though. I wouldn't mind Kate Winslet (Little Children) pulling off an upset, either. She was amazing. I think it's funny how they try to make her frumpy and not very attractive in the film, but she's still incredibly beautiful.

Best Supporting Actress:
Will win: Jennifer Hudson (Dreamgirls)
Should win: Jennifer Hudson (Dreamgirls)
This is an easy one. I wouldn't mind seeing Abigail Breslin (Little Miss Sunshine) pull a Marisa Tomei, though. Or Cate Blanchett (Notes on a Scandal).

Best Actor:
Will win: Forest Whitaker (The Last King of Scotland)
Should win: Leonardo DiCaprio (The Departed)
Yes, I know, Leo isn't even nominated for The Departed. But he should be (and I'm not the only person who thinks so). Most critics agree that his performance in that movie is one of the best performances of the year. I guess I wouldn't mind if he won for Blood Diamond, though. I won't mind if Forest Whitaker wins, either (and I'm pretty sure he'll win). I like him. I'm very glad to see Ryan Gosling's name among the nominees, but I don't think he has a chance.

Best Supporting Actor:
Will win: Eddie Murphy (Dreamgirls)
Should win: Jackie Earle Haley (Little Children)
This is the acting category in which there is the greatest chance for an upset. Either Alan Arkin (Little Miss Sunshine) or Jackie Early Haley could sweep in and take it. I love Alan Arkin, but I don't think his role was large enough to merit a win. I would LOVE to see Jackie Earle Haley get this award. I mean, what a comeback. He's absolutely brilliant in Little Children. You don't know whether to despise his character or feel sorry for him.

Best Director:
Will win: Martin Scorsese (The Departed)
Should win: Martin Scorsese (The Departed)
I've mentioned this already, but I'll say it again. If Marty does not win, you will be able to hear me scream from across the country, and Clint Eastwood better watch out.

Best Original Screenplay:
Will win: The Queen
Should win: Little Miss Sunshine

Best Adapted Screenplay:
Will win: The Departed
Should win: Notes on a Scandal
This category is really tricky for me to predict and to choose my pick.

That's all the categories I'm doing for now. I'm not as sure about the smaller categories (sound editing, cinematography, etc.).

No comments: