Sunday, December 19, 2010

"Out with a whimper, it's not a blaze of glory. You look down from your temple as people endeavor to make it a story and chisel a marble word. But all is lost if it's never heard." ~mgmt



This was a really busy weekend, but I'm completely finished with my Christmas shopping (I only had my brother left and I got him done today) and I feel like I don't have that much left to do before I leave for Colorado on Thursday.

Today, exactly as I was walking up the steps at the Washington Square subway station, the Counting Crows' song "Washington Square" came up on my iPod (I had it on shuffle). What are the odds that, out of the approximately 10,000 songs I have, that one would pop up at that moment? It was fate. And it was cool. It's fun to listen to that song in Washington Square. Washington Square looks beautiful, by the way. I love all the city's decorations around the holidays.

Check out my friend Roseann's Christmas gift to me:
She definitely knows me well. This is a dangerous one; I'll have to use my willpower ration it well.

So I have a couple movie reviews for you. Both of these are serious Oscar contenders and I loved them both.

Black Swan
This year's race for Best Actress is between Natalie Portman and Annette Bening (in The Kids Are All Right). Both have been nominated before but have never won (poor Annette Bening has lost twice to Hilary Swank). I'll be happy for either one. I feel like Ms. Bening is overdue, but Ms. Portman is just so, so good in Black Swan. She's absolutely devastating (in a good way). She broke my heart. Darren Aronofsky has directed a beautiful, emotionally intense thriller. Go see it. It's definitely not your feel-good holiday movie, but it's a great film.


The Fighter
Right now, my money's on Christian Bale to win the Oscar for Best Supporting Actor. He's that good. Mark Wahlberg, Amy Adams, and Melissa Leo (who will most likely get her second Oscar nom) are also wonderful. I didn't care much about the boxing part of it (although those scenes, particularly the final match, were very well shot), but I still loved the movie. It's the relationships that make it interesting. So it's another one to go see.

No comments: