Sunday, December 05, 2010

"I was lost in the nighttime. How am I a stranger to you when we're friends? I'm young and I made awful mistakes. You're older and you do the same." ~sam isaac




I woke up this morning lying on my back. Jasper was lying on my chest and Casey was lying on my stomach. I felt their weight sinking into me, but I felt so light.

Yesterday I saw The Break of Noon, an off-Broadway play. I wasn't crazy about the play; I was waiting to be surprised, and I just wasn't. The actors worked very well with what they were given, though. David Duchnovy did an admirable job of portraying the completely unlikable protagonist, Amanda Peet (I love her; I'm a huge Studio 60 fan) was good in her two roles, and Tracee Chimo was brilliant as always. I just wish they had better material.

Is it weird that I find David Duchnovy completely gorgeous?

Today I went to see The Great Game: Afghanistan. It was a marathon show; it was three plays all in one day, for a total of 7.5 hours. It's about Afghanistan's history from 1842 to the present. You might think 7.5 hours of Afghan history portrayed on stage would be boring, but you'd be wrong. It was fascinating. I loved every minute of it. Ben Brantley was there, so it was obviously a press day. I can't wait to read his review when it comes out Tuesday night. I want to post snippets of reviews from the London production (it's a transfer) just to convince you that I'm not alone in finding it brilliant:
“If anything drags, it’s the intervals. An inspirational highlight of the year so far.” Independent

“Mind blowing plays ride high. Something remarkable is happening at the Tricycle, where Afghan history and culture are being made manifest in a uniquely challenging, theatrically exciting way.” The Guardian

“Its scope is unparalleled. It’s a fine achievement.” The Times

“There is a deep thrill in hearing an audience fall silent, rapt in the drama….more impressive…the silence of an audience completely gripped by reality.” Financial Times

“High on my list of the best theatrical experiences of 2009. The quality of the writing and the painstaking nature of the research are palpable throughout…Directed with precision and clarity by Nicolas Kent and Indhu Rubasingham and superbly acted… this is a challenging theatrical marathon of notable intelligence, insight, ambition and achievement.” The Daily Telegraph

“For sheer scale and ambition alone it deserves the highest praise.” Sunday Times

“The cast of 15 is universally excellent. Sharp and entertaining and, as the best political theatre should, refuses to draw simplistic conclusions.” Sunday Telegraph

“No former undertaking has boasted anything like the scope or ambition of ‘The Great Game’….immense. The terrific acting ensemble never flags, directors Nicolas Kent and Indhu Rubasingham continue to imbue each piece with fierce, coherent life.” The Evening Standard

“The Great Game is the year’s most ambitious theatrical event.” Metro

“Nicolas Kent’s most ambitious project is a triumph.” Jewish Chronicle

“An utterly enthralling and informative experience with terrific new pieces… don’t miss.” Whatsonstage

Yeah. Before each performance, they handed out an essay about the history of Afghanistan during the time period of the show you were about to see. It's also available online, and I enjoyed reading it. I was woefully ignorant about Afghan history, and although I'm certainly no expert now, I'm glad I know a little bit more.





Tomorrow I'm experiencing a different kind of entertainment; I'm going to the premiere of The Tourist. That's right, I get to knock elbows with Johnny Depp and Brangelina (I don't care a bit about Brangelina, but Johnny Depp is pretty cool). Actually, I'm sure I'll be sequestered in a part of the theatre designated for "normal" people and won't be anywhere near the stars, but still, it'll be fun.

No comments: