Sunday, July 18, 2010

"Famous angels never come through England. England gets the ones you never need." ~the national

My crazy-busy week continues. On Friday I saw the Broadway production of Lend Me a Tenor. It's got a great cast, it's directed by Stanley Tucci, and I thought it was hilarious. I'm such a sucker for farce. It was just a really, really good time.


Yesterday Nic and I went to the Siren Music Festival. We went last year and had a good time, so we returned this year. We got to see the wing-eating contest again (the same person won), and we saw some good bands. It was at least 95 degrees, and even though I wore sunscreen, my back got burned a little. I can't complain, though; it could have been worse.

We headed straight from Coney Island to Central Park to get in line for stand-by tickets to The Winter's Tale at Shakespeare in the Park. It's much less popular than The Merchant of Venice (which we already saw), so we had no trouble getting tickets. I wasn't familiar with the play beforehand, but I enjoyed it. Like Merchant, it's difficult to classify. I guess it's a romance, but the first act in particular is very dark and the whole thing seems tinged with melancholy. I think the two plays go well together. This year Shakespeare in the Park is doing it's plays in rep, which means the plays alternate nights and they share actors. It was nice to see Jesse L. Martin and Jesse Tyler Ferguson with more to do than in The Merchant of Venice.

This morning I went to the movies and saw Inception. I loved it. It's a smart, visually impressive film. I wasn't confused, but I would still like to see it again. I would say more but I don't want to spoil it for anyone, so I'll just say go see it.


Tonight I'm seeing the critically-adored off-Broadway production of Our Town, starring Helen Hunt. I have a front row seat. I'm excited. I'll report back.

1 comment:

Denise said...

I saw the trailer for Inception months ago somewhere. I don't remember where. It looks kind of weird, but everyone keeps talking about it so it must be good. I might add it to my 'to-see' list.