Friday, July 16, 2010

"But I can't help the feeling I could blow through the ceiling, if I just turn and run. It wears me out, it wears me out. It wears me out, it wears me out." ~radiohead

Spending a good portion of the day waiting in lines (outside) is quite exhausting. Yesterday I went from line to line to line. It was worth it, though. The first line was to see Sting. He was taping a segment for the Early Show, and he performed four songs. I was especially glad he did "Roxanne." And "Englishman in New York." He's promoting his new album Symphonicities, which consists of reworked hits backed by an orchestra. It was interesting to hear "Roxanne" with a whole orchestra behind it.



From the Sting concert, I went straight to a screening of Charlie St. Cloud. Oh, Charlie St. Cloud. The best thing I can say is that it got me out of the hot sun and into air conditioning for a couple of hours. I love the trailer for the film because it uses a song by The National ("Around the Bend"), and the use of Snow Patrol doesn't hurt either, but it's downhill from there. I wanted the movie to surprise me, and for a few minutes in the second half I thought it would, but then of course it....didn't. Maybe most people will like it, but I'm going to use Nic's word and say I thought it was a bit too schmaltzy. I really liked the little kid, though. And by the way, when did Ray Liotta get so old? I still love him and he's still quite handsome, but boy has he aged recently.


From the movie screening, it was down to Castle Clinton in Battery Park with Nic for a Duncan Sheik concert. Duncan Sheik is a Grammy and Tony winner, and I really like his music. I overheard a guy telling his friend who Duncan Sheik is, and he said, "He did that song 'Barely Breathing' a long time ago, and he wrote Spring Awakening." I guess that covers what he's best known for. He was a one-hit wonder with "Barely Breathing," and he went on to compose Spring Awakening (which has some of the most beautiful music I've ever heard onstage). He sang "Barely Breathing" last night, and he also sang a few songs from Spring Awakening. His "Touch Me" was breathtaking. I love that song. "Don't Do Sadness/Blue Wind" was also great. I need to go back and listen to Spring Awakening now. It's just so full of heartbreaking, gorgeous music, and I feel like it stands perfectly on it's own; you don't need to know the show to enjoy it.
He closed with a cover of Radiohead's "Fake Plastic Trees," which is one of my favorite songs. I had to film that one.


Tonight I'm off to Lend Me a Tenor!

No comments: