Saturday, June 05, 2010

"Hey love, we'll get away with it, we'll run like we're awesome, totally genius. Hey love, we'll get away with it, we'll run like we're awesome. We're the heirs to the glimmering world. We're the heirs to the glimmering world. We're the heirs to the glimmering world. We're the heirs to the glimmering world." ~the national

Today was a movie day. I went to see Get Him to the Greek, which was very funny. I loved those characters in Forgetting Sarah Marshall and was glad to see more of them. Russell Brand had a minor role in the latter, but he proves that he's really a capable leading man in the former. P. Diddy (or Sean Combs or whatever name he's going by now) is also quite funny. Elisabeth Moss is in it. My aunt constantly tells me that I look just like her. I don't believe it, but I love when she says that.



I finally rented Brick Lane, and I was very glad I did. It's one of the few movies I've seen that translates well to the screen from the novel. I read the novel in college, in one of my favorite classes, Southeast Asian Literature. I love, love, love all the literature I've read from that region (Salman Rushdie, Arundhati Roy, Jhumpa Lahiri, and Monica Ali are all brilliant writers), and Brick Lane is no exception. When I was last in London, I remember seeing the street Brick Lane and being so excited because I had loved the book. The book is wonderful, and so is the movie. I highly recommend both. I didn't remember much of the book before watching the movie, which might be a good thing. It came back to me as I watched. The one scene that I could see clearly in my head before watching was the running scene, and it didn't disappoint on film.

No comments: