Tuesday, June 08, 2010

"But damn my luck and damn these friends that keep on combing back their smiles. I save my grace with half-assed guilt and lay down the quilt upon the lawn. Spread my arms and soak up Congratulations." ~mgmt

I cannot stop listening to that song.

I feel like summer begins with the first Summerstage concert in Central Park. This year it was a bunch of musicians singing the songs of Simon & Garfunkel (they were there but didn't perform). Nic and I packed a picnic (we've gotten really good at that) and enjoyed the music. The highlight for me was Aimee Mann and John Roderick performing "The Only Living Boy in New York." Paula Cole and Shawn Colvin's version of "America" (one of my favorite songs) was also gorgeous. Loudon Wainwright III and his daughter Lucy were also great, singing "Bleeker Street." Here's a setlist courtesy of BrooklynVegan:This weekend my friends Kim and Elizabeth came to visit me. It was nice to have them here, and it turned out to be a beautiful weekend. Yesterday we went to Coney Island. I love Coney Island. We went on the ferris wheel and the Cyclone (my favorite) and some swings that were a lot of fun. I had a corndog at Nathan's and we got to sit on the boardwalk and enjoy the breeze. It was a great day. We had a lot of good food while they were here (Mexican one night, mac & cheese another night, and a French restaurant for brunch). Matt (Kim's brother) spent a lot of time with us, and it was good to see him as well.
Pictures:
On the boardwalk:
On the ferris wheel, beach in the background:
At a rooftop bar:
Joshua Tree. I am singing along with "Mo' Money, Mo' Problems." Because I'm cool like that.
I took a video while Kim and I were on the swings. It's silly, but you can watch it here:


Now it's back to reality tomorrow. Two more weeks. Two more weeks. I can make it.

Tonight's the Tony Awards. I'm already braced for disappointment. This season is incredibly weak, anyway. It's actually ridiculous how pathetic the new musicals are. Oh well.

If Spiderman ever actually makes it to Broadway (and I hope it does just so I can hear Bono & The Edge's score), I'm so freakin' excited about this. I love her.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Coney Island sounds fun

Gégé