Sunday, April 11, 2010

"You get mistaken for strangers by your own friends when you pass them at night under the silvery, silvery Citibank lights, arm in arm in arm and eyes and eyes glazing under. Oh, you wouldn’t want an angel watching over. Surprise, surprise, they wouldn’t wanna watch another uninnocent, elegant fall into the unmagnificent lives of adults." ~the national

Matt Berninger is most definitely one of the best lyricists out there right now. Just read the above lyrics again and let them sink in. That's only one tiny example of how brilliant he is.

There's a really, really great in-depth interview with Matt and Aaron from The National online right now at The Quietus. I love that they changed the title of "Vanderlyle" to "Vanderlyle Crybaby Geeks" because we (the fans) thought he was saying "geese" in the song, and Matt wanted to put an end to the confusion. It really does sound like he says "geese." And I loved that throwback to one of my favorite songs, "The Geese of Beverly Road." Ah, well. 'Geeks' is interesting, too.

I bought a ticket to see The Hold Steady play at the Beacon in October. I like when bands plan ahead like that. I like having my ticket six months in advance. I'm already looking forward to that concert a lot.

New York in spring is gorgeous. Central Park in bloom is heavenly. I love strolling through it at this time of year and enjoying the magnificence.

In Delta's sky magazine, they have a feature called "My Favorite Street." In each issue, they feature a famous person's favorite street in the world. If I had to choose a favorite street, it would be an easy choice: 23d St. in Manhattan. I'm going to cheat and choose the whole street, not E. 23d or W. 23d. First of all, there's the Blender Theatre, one of my absolute favorite concert venues. There's Madison Square Park, where you'll find The Shake Shack (be still, my heart). There's a Barnes & Noble. And a Best Buy. And the Chelsea Hotel. If I could live anywhere, I would choose the Chelsea Hotel. That place has such a rich history. There are lots of good restaurants on W. 23d. And a guitar store. It's just such a fun street to walk along. I could live on that street and never leave it and be satisfied.

Season 1 of Party Down was just released on DVD, so of course I bought it. Rob Thomas is brilliant. I love how so many people on the show are Veronica Mars alums. Kristen Bell, Veronica Mars herself, even makes an appearance (and she's back in the second season, which starts soon!). If only I had time to watch the DVDs.

Nic and I are seeing the Broadway production of La Cage Aux Folles tonight. I'm excited. It's supposed to be a fabulous production, and it's such a fun show.

Speaking of KBell, here's a cute, recent interview with her on Craig Ferguson's show. I like listening to her talk about her fiance, Dax Shepard (he's currently starring as Crosby in Parenthood), particularly about selling his patio furniture. I suggest clicking on the link for each and then watching them on youtube full screen, because this is a small window on this blog:
Part 1:

Part 2:

1 comment:

Katka said...

I feel cheated that you didn´t show us 23rd street.lol

and how was La Cage Aux Folles? I´ve seen it 3 times in Prague. Loved it.

Looks like Craig talks about "gas" with everyone.lol