Saturday, April 17, 2010

"Wall Street jumps in the Hudson with gold in their bathing suits. Then we send in the miracle fairies, that's all we do." ~the national

I love that The National can write such a gorgeous song about the Wall Street bailout.

I'm doing bullet points because my mind is too tired to think about one thing for an extended period of time.

I don't think I've posted recently. I've been really sick all week, but I can't take off work and have had to stay at school every day until around 6pm because the state test is a week away and there is no way I can miss a day when it's so close. I can't wait until it's over.

I don't think I wrote about La Cage Aux Folles. I loved it. Of course "I Am What I Am" was a highlight; it's one of those songs by which you can't help but be moved. Douglas Hodge is wonderful as Albin, and Kelsey Grammer is a great Georges. I'm sorry I can't come up with more intelligent things to say about it right now, but I think it's a solid production of a good, fun show. We saw Harvey Fierstein in the audience enjoying his baby (he wrote the book). Nic and I did student rush, sat in a box, and had a perfect view.

I've spent all my free time in the past few days watching the entire first season of Party Down (I got the DVD last week when it was released). Oh, how I love this show. I love how the majority of the main cast are Veronica Mars alums (Ken Marino, Ryan Hansen, Jane Lynch). I love all the guest stars. Steven Weber is freakin' hilarious. And there are soooo many Veronica Mars alums who play guest roles. Enrico Calantoni (Keith Mars) is hilarious in the first episode, and it was great to see Jason Dohring (Logan), Alona Tal (Meg), Ed Begley, Jr. (Dean O'Dell), and Daran Norris (Cliff) all show up. The show feels like a VM reunion, and of course it makes sense because Rob Thomas created both shows. Kristen Bell (Veronica Mars) is awesome in the finale, and she's back in the season two premiere, which I can't wait to see. Megan Mullally is joining the cast now that Jane Lynch has left for Glee, and I think she'll be a nice addition. Anyway, the show makes me happy.
Here's my favorite scene of KBell's:


High Violet comes out soon. I can't wait. I've heard all the songs, but not the studio versions, which I know will be amazing. My favorite song from the album changes every day. Right now I'm loving "Sorrow" (what Matt called "the happiest song on the record"). They have a ton of fabulous musicians with whom they're collaborating on this album (Sufjan Stevens is in "Afraid of Everyone," Richie Reed Parry from The Arcade Fire is in six or seven songs, Justin Vernon from Bon Iver is in "Vanderlyle Crybaby Geeks"). They've released a few tracks already, two from High Violet ("Bloodbuzz Ohio," the first single, and "Afraid of Everyone") and a b-side to Bloodbuzz, "Sin-Eaters" (quoted in the beginning of this post). So I'm sharing those with you.

Get Your Own Player!

No comments: