Thursday, June 16, 2005

"Glamorous Indie rock'n'roll is what I want. It's in my soul, it's what I need. Indie rock'n'roll, it's time..." ~the killers

My summer's been going pretty well so far. It's gone by so quickly, though. I can't believe I'm leaving for New Zealand in two weeks. Basically this summer I've spent lotsa money and haven't made any. I'm trying to justify it by reminding myself that I worked the past two summers and I'll be a substitute teacher for a while when I get back from New Zealand. So let's see...here's a recap of my summer. I went to four concerts, all amazing. Here's my abbreviated reviews (in chronological order):

Coldplay. MTV Studios. 5/18/05.
This was quite an experience. I won a contest that got me and my friend into this concert. We were also among the first 20 people in the world to hear their new album, X&Y, about a month before it was released. At the concert there were only about 80 people, and we were right next to the catwalk. I was less than a foot away from Chris Martin. It was so surreal. The concert aired on MTV (MTV LiveLeak: Coldplay), so if you happen to catch it, you can see me drueling as I stare up at Chris. Or ask me to see the video. They played all the best songs from X&Y. The downside was that the only old song they played was Clocks. They were supposed to do Yellow but they bumped it because they had to do 3 tracks from X&Y over again. We were pissed. But it was still awesome, and I can't complain because it was free.

U2. Madison Square Garden. 5/21/05. Opening act: Kings of Leon.
Absolutely amazing. They're my favorite band in the world, so it was such a thrill to finally see them live. I'm seeing them again in November (hopefully twice) because I can't get enough. They played some classics that were great to hear live like Pride, One, Where the Streets Have no Name, Running to Stand Still, and many more. They also did a lot of my favorites from HTDAAB. So yeah, it was great.

The Killers. Central Park Summerstage. 6/4/05. Opening act: Louis XIV.
Best concert I've ever attended (sorry U2). I was in the front row, so I had a perfect view of Brandon (with whom I am madly in love). I can't even explain the energy in that place. I was surrounded by cool people who were going crazy, so I went crazy with them. I've never screamed so loud in my life. It was just perfect. 'nuff said.

Alanis Morissette. Radio City Music Hall. 6/15/05. Opening act: Jason Mraz.
Another awesome experience. I was pleasantly surprised by Jason Mraz (usually I can't stand him). Alanis was...I've run out of favorable adjectives, so pick one you like and insert it here. She played every single song from Jagged Little Pill, which I thought was so cool. If you don't know, she's on her Jagged Little Pill Acoustic tour (she's releasing an acoustic version of the album in honor of its 10-year anniversary). I like it better acoustic, and I love hearing the changes she's made. It's fun to revisit that album, because I remember listening to it constantly when I first got it 10 years ago.

So those concerts have been the highlight of my summer. I've also seen a ton of Broadway shows, but I know most of you don't care about that, so I'll just say that this is an awesome season for Broadway.

Kelly and I drove down to Richmond for a weekend and we stayed with Jenn, which was fun. It was great to see everyone doing research there for the summer (which is a lotta people). Chris took me kayaking and that was quite an experience. I'm not so good at padaling against the current, so I ended up getting out of the kayak (while still in the middle of the river) and dragging it upriver behind me. He must have gotten quite a kick out of watching that. And of course I wasn't exactly dressed for a trip in the river (jean shorts, tank top, sneakers, no bathing suit). But it was fun. And I loved spending time with some Richmond friends.

I'm scared to be away from NYC for five months. I seriously don't know if I can bear it. The city is my life. I guess I'm trying to soak it in as much as I can before I go. Hopefully I'll be too busy having fun to think about it when I'm in New Zealand.

Please write to me, because I'll miss you all when I'm there! Here's some pictures detailing the highlights of my summer:
U2:
Image hosted by Photobucket.com
The Killers:
Image hosted by Photobucket.com
The Killers:
Image hosted by Photobucket.com
me and Christina Applegate:
Image hosted by Photobucket.com
me and Billy Crudup:
Image hosted by Photobucket.com
trip to Richmond:
Image hosted by Photobucket.com

No comments: