Thursday, June 28, 2007

"Feels something like summertime, top down ain't nothing but time. Radio's on and you're by my side, feels something like summertime." ~bon jovi

My life sucks right now, so I don't feel like writing about it because that will just make me more depressed. But I like blogging, so I'll try to write something. I'll write about Bon Jovi's new album, Lost Highway. It's really, really good. I've been listening to it since it was released last Tuesday and I'm hooked. It's not bad at cheering me up. Jon Bon Jovi's voice is suited for country music, and he does a great job of capturing the feel of Nashville. I just hope those boys don't forget they're from New Jersey, though. :-) I'm sure they won't; they're Jersey boys for life.

Not everything about my life sucks right now, so I guess I can write about one of the good parts. Our friends the Johnsons are at their house in CO for the summer, so they have generously granted me full access to their pool. I love riding my bike over to their house and going for a swim. Today was the perfect day for it, too; it's incredibly hot here. It's nice to have the pool to myself. I do some laps, play around in the water, practice some synchro...I could live in water. I love it. On the way to their house there's one road that I have to take, Bennington Drive, that's pretty steep. It doesn't look steep, but it definitely feels steep when you're pedaling up it on your bike. Riding back home, though, is so much fun because I get to just coast down the street. I don't pedal at all, my wet skin flows through the air, and it feels like I'm flying.

I remember the last time I roller-bladed down that street. It was about a year ago. I convinced Kim to go roller-blading with me, even though she really didn't want to. When she finally agreed to go, she wanted to find her old elbow and knee pads and her wrist guards, but I laughed at her and told her she would be fine. I know Kim better than anyone else, so I should have made her put on as much padding as possible, because she's the clumsiest person I've ever met. Instead, I dragged her out on the roads after me. We were actually having a great time before we finally decided to head home. Then we got to the top of the hill on Bennington. I started down it and Kim had no choice but to follow. I soon remembered how steep it was, but by then it was too late to do anything about it. When I got close to the bottom of the hill, I threw my body off of the street and onto the grass beside me. It must have looked like a stunt fall in slow motion. My body was stretched out, my hands leading (Superman style) and my legs sprawled out behind (the roller blades surprisingly not weighing my feet down too much). I ended up slamming onto the grass chest first, knocking the wind out of me for a few seconds. I was fine, though, and no one had seen my film-worthy fall. I looked up in time to see Kim pummeling towards the bottom of the street, then watched her turn so as not to fly straight into the traffic on the road that Bennington intersected. Her body landed hard on the pavement. Her fall was much less graceful than mine. She ended up covered in scrapes and bruises, blood dripping from multiple sites on her arms and legs. After making sure she was okay and able to walk, I helped her up and we hobbled back to my house where my dad cleaned and bandaged Kim's wounds and I washed the grass and dirt stains off my body. That was the last time Kim went roller-blading with me. Sometimes when we're trying to think of something to do, I'll suggest a roller-blade. Kim will respond with her best glare, which will usually turn into laughter after my mischievous smile wins her over.

2 comments:

Heather said...

hey, claire -- hang in there, okay? I hope whatever it is -- the job mess, the appartment mess, or just the crummy transition period -- eases up soon.

btw - I did a similar superman running a 5k once. I wasn't paying attention and the toe of my running shoe went right into a little hole in the pavement... and I went superman out onto the asphalt, then got up and finished the run, with blood running down my legs from my knees. People kinda freaked when they saw me, though. Gross... anyway... hope you feel better soon!

Claire said...

Thanks, Heather.

Your fall sounds worse than mine! Kudos for getting up and finishing the run!