Friday, December 08, 2006

"These train conversations are passing me by, and I don't have nothing to say. You get what you pay for, but I just had no intention of living this way." ~counting crows

Weird conversations I've had today:

This morning when I went to turn in my Instructional Design journal, my professor started a really random conversation with me. It was totally out of the blue. She said something like, "I know you've travelled a lot; aren't your parents missionaries? What are some fun places you've been?" I have NO idea how she knows I've travelled a lot. I'm absolutely positive that I've never mentioned it in class. My parents aren't missionaries but they were in the Peace Corps in Cameroon (that's where they met), so I suppose she was close. I lived in Cote D'Ivoire for the first three years of my life, and I told my prof that. The way that she reacted made it seemed like she already knew. Anyway, of course I didn't mind talking about any of that stuff; it actually led to an interesting conversation that I really enjoyed, but it just caught me off guard. I told her a funny story about my trip to Turkey and she told me one about Thailand.
Our conversation reminded me that I need to get going on my plans to go to Antarctica! My goal is to visit all 7 continents, and I've been to 6 so far, so Antarctica is all I have left. I want to make it happen soon.

Weird conversation #2: I was in line at the grocery store. I was buying flowers, hair nets, and 8 boxes of Knox gelatin. The lady in front of me eyed my items curiously and finally got up the courage to ask ask me if I was making something. I explained to her that I'm a synchronized swimmer and we use Knox to put our hair up. I explained the whole process to her (put your hair in a really tight bun, secure the bun with a hair net, cover your hair, including the bun, with a Knox gelatin mixture, allow it to harden, attach headpiece). She found it very interesting. The cashier even got involved in the conversation, asking specific questions. They loved hearing about it. Funny somewhat-related remark: Joy keeps telling me how much she loves my synchro "hat." I have to keep reminding her that it's a headpiece, not a hat. Can you imagine us swimming around the pool in hats? Ooh, that reminds me of something else! A long time ago I had the strangest dream (I may have already posted about it, I can't remember). I dreamed that we did a cereal-themed synchro routine. Someone was Capn' Crunch, someone was Trix, someone was a Cheerio....Our headpieces were actual cardboard cereal boxes, which obviously wouldn't have worked very well in reality. It was pretty funny.

My mom's coming down today for the synchro show. It'll be good to see her.

No comments: