Thursday, October 31, 2013

 "Caroline laughs and it's raining all day, she loves to be one of the girls. She lives in the place in the side of our lives where nothing is ever put straight. She turns her self round and she smiles and she says, 'This is it, that's the end of the joke.' And loses herself in her dreaming and sleep, and her lovers walk through in their coats. Pretty in pink, isn't she? Pretty in pink, isn't she?" ~the psychedelic furs


The song was written by The Psychedelic Furs, but the version posted above is a cover by The National. I love The National's version. It's more melancholy than the original, which I think fits well with the lyrics.

Just a few random things:

1. I love Mandy Patinkin as Saul on Homeland (Mandy Patinkin, Holla!). I really love Mandy Patinkin, though, because of his musical theatre talent. He's been nominated for three Tony Awards and won one (for Evita). My favorite role of his is Archibald Craven in The Secret Garden. Of course I was about eight years old when I saw him in the show on Broadway (it was the first Broadway show I ever attended) so I don't remember seeing his performance live, but I listen to the Broadway cast recording all the time. I pretty much have the whole thing memorized. Mandy has one of the most beautiful voices I've ever heard.

Here's the show's performance on the Tony Awards. They did a medley, which includes an excerpt of my favorite song from the show, "Lily's Eyes." Listen to how awesome Mandy is (and notice how young he looks!).

2. Halloween! I went to my friend Kim's party over the weekend, which was an 80's-themed party. I wanted to be Andie from Pretty in Pink (one of my favorite 80's movies) but couldn't find a perfect outfit, so I went for more of Pretty in Pink as a concept. It was fun. Here are some of our costumes:
I was Rosie the Riveter at school for Halloween. Of course no one knew who I was. What is the state of public education in America coming to? My denim jumpsuit was so comfortable I wish I could wear it every day.

No comments: