Sunday, November 03, 2013

This year in movies, I've seen some very strong female performances (Sandra Bullock in Gravity and Cate Blanchett in Blue Jasmine immediately come to mind), but right now I'm super impressed with some incredible male performances I've seen recently.

This weekend I saw Dallas Buyers Club. This is an incredible year for Matthew McConaughey; he's definitely proven that he's so much more than just eye candy. I loved him in Mud earlier this year, and in Dallas Buyers Club he further demonstrates his acting range. As Ron Woodroof, a homophobic Texan fighting AIDS in the 1980's, he's tough, vulnerable, charming, and fiercely determined. His brings his character to life and is magnificent to watch. 

Now let's talk about Jared Leto. When I hear Jared Leto, I think of Jordan Catalano, the brooding, super cool, super sexy object of Angela (Claire Danes)'s affection on My So-Called Life. That's who Jared Leto is to me, even though the TV show is almost twenty years old (can that be right?!). After seeing Dallas Buyers Club, I have a whole new picture in my head. Jared Leto's performance is remarkable and unforgettable. He broke my heart as Rayon, a transgendered AIDS victim who becomes partners with McConaughey's character.

Both men completely embody their characters; you never feel like they're acting. They also have great chemistry together; it's a joy to see Ron and Rayon put aside their many differences and build a real friendship. McConaughey and Leto each lost over 40 pounds for the movie, but their weight loss doesn't feel like some gimmick. Instead, it makes the characters' experiences feel more real. I'm guessing both men will be nominated for Oscars (McConaughey for best actor and Leto for best supporting actor), I'd be happy to see either one (or both) win (I think Leto has the better shot right now).

Another film I've seen recently with a strong male performance is Twelve Years a Slave. Chiwetel Ejiofor plays Solomon Northup, a free African American man who is kidnapped and sold into slavery. Sometimes it's hard to watch the horrors through which Solomon suffers, but at the same time you can't turn away. The true story is not told in a melodramatic way, which actually makes watching the events unfolding especially uncomfortable to watch. There was one scene that I won't spoil, but I'll say that it included no music and no dialogue and yet had me in tears as I forced myself to look at the screen. Ejiofor does a fantastic job in his portrayal of Solomon; he beautifully conveys all the character's layers. When we first see Solomon he is living a happy life with his family as a free man, and we see his devastating transformation into a slave who struggles to suppress his knowledge in order to stay alive in his new life. I think everyone should see this movie. I wouldn't be surprised if Chiwetel Ejiofor wins the Oscar for best actor.

This will be shorter mostly because I don't have time to write a lot more, but the third performance I'll mention is Tom Hanks in Captain Phillips. It's impressive that an actor with such an extensive career still manages to surprise audiences. Hanks's performance as Richard Phillips is subtle, nuanced and entirely convincing. He allows us to see many aspects of his character; at he beginning we see Captain Phillip's calm yet commanding nature, and later we're able to see him completely let go and succumb to the terror of being kidnapped. Barkhad Abdi is also fabulous as the lead pirate who kidnaps the captain; he might even get a supporting actor nod in his first film role.

These are three incredibly good movies, and I think they're so good because of the men who carry the films. I think it's interesting that they're all based on true stories. Go see them; they really are wonderful.

I've seen a bunch of Broadway shows that I should write about. That'll be coming soon. 

No comments: