Saturday, February 05, 2011

There's nothing we can say or do, the damage is in front of you. I'm sorry, but sometimes things fall apart. Take some time to understand, the situation's out of hand, but you didn't see it from the start." ~cassettes won't listen




So this was a show weekend for me. On Friday it was John Gabriel Borkman at BAM, starring the fabulous Alan Rickman, Fiona Shaw, and Lindsay Duncan. They've assembled one of the finest casts imaginable. Unfortunately I wasn't so crazy about the play (and I generally love Ibsen). It wasn't bad at all, it just had bits that didn't quite resonate with me. But I'm still glad I saw it.
Can I just talk about Alan Rickman for a minute? I think he has my absolute favorite voice ever. Seriously, can you think of anyone with a better speaking voice? I would pay good money to listen to him read the phone book. I absolutely love him. Seriously, I'm crazy about him. So even though I'm not sure he was perfect for the title role, I was just thrilled to see him onstage. Of course I had to stagedoor. There were a LOT of people there, so he didn't do photos (and he announced right away that he wouldn't sign anything related to Harry Potter). But I saw him. And got to listen to him some more (he was quite funny).
Confession: I kind of miss his Snape hair.



Tonight I saw Love, Loss, and What I Wore. I've seen it before, but I like it, and I was offered a free ticket. We were in the first row, which is pressed right up against the stage, so that was very cool. It has a good cast right now. It's fun seeing it with different people in it and listening to how they tell the stories differently.
Pauletta Washington is in it, and her husband (Denzel Washington) was there. I didn't get my camera out soon enough when they left, so I only got a photo of them walking away.
Nikki Blonsky (from the movie version of Hairspray) was in it, and she was very funny. She was also very sweet after the show.
And Alexis Bledel was also very sweet. First of all, she's incredibly gorgeous in person. Second of all, I know I have a huge head, but standing next to her makes it look like the size of a watermelon. Oh well. Now I've met the two stars of Gilmore Girls, which makes me happy.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

how was Alexis on stage?
gégé

Katka said...

I also love Alan Rickman. It´s sad that he´s distancing himself from HP, though.
I envy you your pics with Alexis and Lauren!!

btw. I couldn´t get on your blog for couples of days, it always freezed my pc. glad it´s working now.

Claire said...

Alexis gave a good performance. There were certain scenes of hers that I really liked. :)

Katka, it makes me nervous that my blog froze your computer, but I'm glad it's working now!
Alan Rickman said he wouldn't sign Harry Potter stuff because it always ends up on eBay for an exorbitant amount of money, which I guess I understand.