Thursday, January 27, 2011

"When the winter winds grow colder, some drive down to Daytona, some jet off to L.A. It says a lot about one where you choose to spend the cold months; do you go, or do you stay?" ~the last town chorus

I saw her play this song live, which is rare (she doesn't play it in concert much). It was pretty great. I did record it, so I'll share that version as well, even though the background noise is a bit annoying.

Album version:

Live at South Street Seaport 8/24/07:

The city has had a total of about 55 inches of snow this winter, which is ridiculous. It snows approximately every five days. We had our first snow day today; it's about time. We got dumped with about 19 inches last night and this morning, and I finally got to stay home. I actually went out exploring, though. I went to Central Park and then I walked to Target to do some shopping. It took me close to an hour to walk there (and the same amount of time to walk back), but I loved being out in the city. I have photos here.

I feel like it's time for me to weigh in on the Oscar nominees (announced earlier this week). First of all, let me say that I think this is the strongest year for movies in a long, long time. All of the best picture nominees are amazing. There were some fabulous performances this year, and I can't wait to see what happens at the Oscars. I'm only posting thoughts on the major categories right now.

Best Picture

  • “Black Swan” Mike Medavoy, Brian Oliver and Scott Franklin, Producers
  • “The Fighter” David Hoberman, Todd Lieberman and Mark Wahlberg, Producers
  • “Inception” Emma Thomas and Christopher Nolan, Producers
  • “The Kids Are All Right” Gary Gilbert, Jeffrey Levy-Hinte and Celine Rattray, Producers
  • “The King's Speech” Iain Canning, Emile Sherman and Gareth Unwin, Producers
  • “127 Hours” Christian Colson, Danny Boyle and John Smithson, Producers
  • “The Social Network” Scott Rudin, Dana Brunetti, Michael De Luca and Ceán Chaffin, Producers
  • “Toy Story 3” Darla K. Anderson, Producer
  • “True Grit” Scott Rudin, Ethan Coen and Joel Coen, Producers
  • “Winter's Bone" Anne Rosellini and Alix Madigan-Yorkin, Producers
I'm proud to say I've seen all the nominees in this category and I love them all. This year's crop of Best Picture nominees makes me really glad they expanded the category to ten nominees. It allowed some smaller (but fabulous) films to be recognized, when in years past they wouldn't have been. Winter's Bone was incredibly well done, and I don't think a lot of people saw it, but it deserves to be recognized. The Kids Are All Right is another indie movie that I loved. An animated movie finally managed to sneak into this category, and Toy Story 3 completely deserved this nomination. I really did love all of these movies; there's not one I can say shouldn't be there. I still think The Social Network is the movie to beat.

Actor in a Leading Role

  • Javier Bardem in “Biutiful”
  • Jeff Bridges in “True Grit”
  • Jesse Eisenberg in “The Social Network”
  • Colin Firth in “The King's Speech”
  • James Franco in “127 Hours”
I wish Ryan Gosling (Blue Valentine) and Mark Wahlberg (The Fighter) could have been nominated. I haven't seen Biutiful so in all fairness I can't really say I wish one of them had taken Bardem's spot, but I wish it anyway. I did love the other four nominated performances and wouldn't replace any of them. I think and hope Colin Firth will win.

Actor in a Supporting Role

  • Christian Bale in “The Fighter”
  • John Hawkes in “Winter's Bone”
  • Jeremy Renner in “The Town”
  • Mark Ruffalo in “The Kids Are All Right”
  • Geoffrey Rush in “The King's Speech”
I am SO happy John Hawkes was nominated. His performance was wonderful, and I feel like that's a surprise nomination. I know people are saying Andrew Garfield (The Social Network) was snubbed, and I did love his performance, but I'm glad Hawkes was nominated instead. Anyway, Christian Bale is winning this without a doubt. This is the easiest race to call.

Actress in a Leading Role

  • Annette Bening in “The Kids Are All Right”
  • Nicole Kidman in “Rabbit Hole”
  • Jennifer Lawrence in “Winter's Bone”
  • Natalie Portman in “Black Swan”
  • Michelle Williams in “Blue Valentine”
I'm really, really happy Jennifer Lawrence was nominated (can you tell I'm a big fan of Winter's Bone?). If I could change anything I would replace Nicole Kidman with Julianne Moore (The Kids Are All Right). Right now the race is between Annette Bening and Natalie Portman, and I loved both, but I'm pulling for Bening (although I give the edge to Portman).

Actress in a Supporting Role

  • Amy Adams in “The Fighter”
  • Helena Bonham Carter in “The King's Speech”
  • Melissa Leo in “The Fighter”
  • Hailee Steinfeld in “True Grit”
  • Jacki Weaver in “Animal Kingdom”
I still don't see how Hailee Steinfeld can be considered in this category. Her role was a leading role without a doubt. Anyway, I'm glad she was nominated, even if it was in the wrong category. She's the heart of True Grit. I can't believe Mila Kunis (Black Swan) wasn't nominated. I think Melissa Leo will win, which is fine with me. I loved her in Frozen River (I was so glad when she was nominated for that), and I loved her this year in The Fighter.

Animated Feature Film

  • “How to Train Your Dragon” Chris Sanders and Dean DeBlois
  • “The Illusionist” Sylvain Chomet
  • “Toy Story 3” Lee Unkrich
I don't see why Tangled and Despicable Me weren't nominated. Anyway, there's no doubt that Toy Story 3 is winning this (and rightfully so).

Documentary (Feature)

  • “Exit through the Gift Shop” Banksy and Jaimie D'Cruz
  • “Gasland” Josh Fox and Trish Adlesic
  • “Inside Job” Charles Ferguson and Audrey Marrs
  • “Restrepo” Tim Hetherington and Sebastian Junger
  • “Waste Land” Lucy Walker and Angus Aynsley
I did a happy dance when I saw the nominees in this category. Seriously, this category made my day. Waiting for Superman was not nominated. Hallelujah! I can't tell you how glad I am about that. I don't care who wins, I only care that one of my least favorite movies ever will not win.

What will make the Oscars even more fun this year is the hosts. I mean, c'mon, how can you not be excited about seeing these two in charge?

No comments: