Tuesday, January 25, 2011

"Amazing life we've been given. I know that you had some troubles I have had some troubles. We've been wasted, we've been complacent. We've given in to getting through the days." ~matt pond pa



I started this post, like, months ago. It's another Chuck song. They keep using the best music on this show. Last night they used The National again ("Vanderlylle Crybaby Geeks"). Over the past four years they've used The National a lot (Josh Schwartz even named his production company after a song by The National, so it's not surprising). So prepare for more Chuck songs to be posted here.

I was lucky enough to attend a free Matt Pond PA concert in the cafe of my college about five years ago. I didn't get there early but still ended up dead center in the front row, leaning on the stage. Not many people knew who they were back then. I knew "Champagne Supernova" and "New Hampshire" and that was about it, but seeing them live (in such a small space) definitely made me want to hear more.

Speaking of Chuck, how good is it getting?? Next week is going to be awesome. I know, every week is awesome. But the final ten minutes are supposed to be "the best ten minutes ever" according to the creators. Which has me pretty hyped up. And by the way, I love what the Awesomes are naming their baby. Mostly because it's just about as close to my name as you can get without actually being my name.

I haven't written in awhile. What do I have to talk about? I think I've missed some plays and movies that I've seen recently. Did I write about the current Broadway production of The Importance of Being Earnest? Brilliant.


Or The Milk Train Doesn't Stop Here Anymore (starring Olympia Dukakis)? Not so brilliant.

Did I write about my weekend with Kim visiting? Tiring but fun.


There's also movie stuff to write about, like The Golden Globes. Maybe I'll put that stuff into a pre-Oscars movie post.

The movie I saw most recently (well, aside from No Strings Attached, which I won't count because it's pretty bad and I don't know what Natalie Portman was thinking) is The Company Men. It's good. First of all, it stars four very talented Oscar-winning men (Ben Affleck, Tommy Lee Jones, Kevin Costner, and Chris Cooper). I'm also a big fan of the actresses (Maria Bello and Rosemarie DeWitt). It's relevant and thoughtful and I liked it.


Another random comment: I hate winter. Seriously. It's almost enough to make me move somewhere warm. It's been absolutely freezing here (like it hasn't gone above 20 degrees), we've had snow but haven't missed school, we had no heat in school today...it's ridiculous. I am making fabulous use of the Bogs I got for Christmas. I love them. I wear them nearly every day and they actually keep my feet warm (and my pants dry). But I really wish I didn't need them.

That's all I have time for now. There's a movie post to come, along with some play reviews for plays that I'm seeing soon (most notably one with one of my absolute favorite actors, Alan Rickman).

No comments: