Saturday, January 01, 2011

"All is quiet on New Year's day. A world in white gets underway. I want to be with you, be with you, night and day. Nothing changes on New Year's day. On New Year's day." ~u2

Times Square was still raining confetti this morning. It was pretty cool.

I went to see Women on the Verge of a Nervous Breakdown on Broadway today, and I'm so, so glad I did (it closes tomorrow, so I made it just in time). Is it flawed? Most definitely. But it's also a whole lot of fun. First of all, I couldn't have created a better dream cast myself. Patti LuPone? Brian Stokes Mitchell? Sherie Rene Scott? Laura Benanti? Danny Burstein? Really, how on earth did they get all those amazing actors on the same stage? I didn't even mind Justin Guarini. Laura Benanti is easily the stand-out. She's absolutely hilarious. Starting at 4:35 in the video preview below you'll see one of her best moments.


A few days ago I went to the movies to see Somewhere. I've been looking forward to it for awhile and I wasn't disappointed. Not a lot happens (I guess you could call it a slice-of-life movie), but I don't think that's always a bad thing. It gives you space to breathe and think. Elle Fanning is as charming as always (when did she get so tall?), as is Stephen Dorff (even though his character is far from perfect). I like Sofia Coppola, and this is classic Sofia Coppola. Which is fine by me.

By the way, the first time you see Elle (Cleo) in the trailer, she's wearing a shirt that I have. Which made me weirdly happy.

No comments: