Tuesday, March 09, 2010

"I'll rest my eyes till the fever's outta me. I'll rest my eyes till the river's in the sea. I'll rest my eyes till the fever's outta me. I'll rest my eyes till the river's in the sea." ~the national

My kids are ridiculous, and their behavior is absolutely atrocious and they drive me crazy most of the time, but every once in a while I have a surprising moment with one of them. Today it was with this girl who is usually quite obnoxious. At the end of the day she was supposed to be in gym, but instead she stayed with me and started talking to me. She said she wants to go shopping with me and offered to be my stylist. She said, "Your face...your face is perfect. But you're wasting it." Apparently I need to wear tighter clothes and change my hair. She said, "If you wear a size medium now, start buying clothes in size small." And the hair? I need to get bangs. Not "too many" bangs, but "some" bangs. And more layers. And dye my hair darker ("the color of your eyebrows") and get highlights "the color of the back of Diana's hair" (don't ask about Diana's hair and why the back is a different color from the front). If anyone but a thirteen-year-old girl told me all of this I probably would not have responded well, but coming from her it was simultaneously sweet and hilarious. We looked up hairstyles online. Reese Witherspoon had some good bangs pictures. So who knows. Maybe I'll change my hair. Because a thirteen-year-old girl told me to.

I'm going to a Late Night with Jimmy Fallon taping tomorrow and sitting in the Band Bench! The National are performing. As you must already know, I am obsessed with them. Obsessed. So I am pretty freakin' excited. Look for me onstage during the performance. I don't know what song they'll do, but I'm really hoping for "Blood Buzz Ohio." "The Runaway" and "Wake Up Your Saints" are also big possibilities, but I've seen them perform both of those live before so I'd like to hear a new one. And I cannot stop listening to "Blood Buzz Ohio."

No comments: